Moving with 22 fish, 6 hour ride. Shopping list and idea checking.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Delaneyw, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Delaneyw

DelaneywWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm moving, as the title states. I'm on a very low budget. Like, stay at home mom going through divorce budget. I would like to split up these fish between buckets to ride with me between the front and back seats. I've got snails and gravel to move also. Would like some tips or fillers if my ideas aren't thought out enough.

Fish and such will be "packed" last and "unpacked" first.

Tank # 1. I've got 8 half-grown skirt tetras, 4 pygmy cories, and a nerite in one tank. Would I need to split them for 5g buckets, or would they make it in one?

Tank #2. 5 Pristella Tetras, 3 peppered cories, and a 2in bristlenose. Ramshorn, MTS, and baby Assassin snails. None of the fish are quite fully grown. Again, will these fish be okay together or no? I plan on picking out the snails the best I can.

Tank #3. Bob the betta and Nancy nerite. Will he be okay in a 1g pitcher with a lid I can open for air?

I'd like to split a battery pump between the two bigger buckets.

My idea with the gravel for tank #1 and #2 is to fill giant ziplocs with as much gravel as I can and put this all in a bucket together. There's probably 45lbs of gravel total, but two separate kinds so I'd like to keep them separate. (I want to swap to sand, but it's just not possible at this time)

Bob's tank has maybe 1 1/2 inches of sand, maybe 6.5lbs of sand. It's a 5.5g. Can I leave the sand intact or will it really stress the tank that much?

Lastly, plants and filter media. Can I bag the filter media in tank water for this length of time? Plants, I'd like to throw in a tote with tank water. Maybe throw a few in the fish buckets for shelter.

All buckets will be new, rinsed with hot water and dechlorinator.

The tanks themselves will ride in back of a towed SUV, covered in packing materials and blankets.

I'm not willing to give up my babies. They're probably what keeps me sane at the moment, along with my daughter and cats.

Thank you.

2. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +66
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    i just moved mine in 5 gallon buckets. They even stayed in them overnight after i arrived. they were only about 2/3rds full. I didn't lose any fish this way. I just hooked up a air pump after i arrived

3. Acereaux

AcereauxValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    When I helped my cousin move to California we used ice chests instead of buckets. I really liked the idea because we were able to fill it with plenty of water and still have a lid on it. That was about a 5-5 1/2 hour drive so the same set-up (if you have the space for so many ice chests) might work too. Good luck with the move!

4. Beeker

BeekerWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +27
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    For my 5 gallon betta tank, I just lowered the water level about half-way and left the betta and snails in. I put the filter media in the tank with the fish and wrapped the tank with a warm blanket. You should be able to do the same with your 5 gallon tank.
    The rest sounds good. Depending on their age, you might want to carry the tanks on a board so the sides don't twist at all and harm the seals.

The filter media should definitely go in with the fish, that way your BB will still be fed and will keep the ammonia from building up in the buckets. You should probably wrap the buckets in towels and blankets to keep the temperature as stable as possible.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  5. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    Just started
    Acereaux, styrofoam ice chests or plastic? Like for camping?

6. mrsalty1223

mrsalty1223Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Many nights by the river with my buddies has taught me that styrofoam coolers break pretty easily. And they like to crack all the way down. The only way I would ever use a styrofoam cooler is if I put it inside of a plastic cooler. Just my personal suggestion.

7. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm going with buckets. Economically and space wise they seem to work better for my situation.

8. Acereaux

AcereauxValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    Delaneyw, Oops forget to mention actual plastic ones, sorry! The styrofoam ones break super easy so I'd be nervous to turn at all with them in the car!! We camped a lot so we had plenty of plastic ones at our disposal so it was just a thought. I'm sure the buckets will do just as well.

9. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    Just started
    Our big box store ships their fish in Styrofoam, but in bags. I don't see how they ever make it alive. =\

10. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That's how everyone does it. As long as you do the prep work & keep them within their temperature range they'll last for days like that. I've done 6 hours of road time with fish for auctions & such, they're bagged for 12-24 hours with no problem.

11. hopeful fish

hopeful fishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would not use buckets. Fish do better with minimal sloshing. When I move my fish back and forth from school, I bag every one. Less water=less sloshing, but more ammonia, so medium size bags are a good middle ground. You can also put the bags in one cooler, packaged with newspaper. This way all fish are in one, temperature controlled, dark space.

The 5 gal should be fine with sand in it. Drain all the water out though. Also make sure it's on a flat surface in the car, so the wight isn't on one spot on the glass.

I'd stick the gravel in buckets as planned, and put all the filter media in with a bucket. It is HIGHLY dangerous to have ANYTHING in with fish while moving them. The media or plants could hit them when you turn or speed up and hurt them. Don't worry about your bacteria. They will be fine for a few hours. There are times when I forget to turn my filter on after a water change, and the media sits for 4 hours and I don't have a mini cycle.

12. FishyWater2525

FishyWater2525Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi!
    When I moved my 3 fish tanks, I drained all the water out, and left the gravel in them. I had a 10g, a 20gH, and a 1g Betta tank.
    I put my my fish from the 10g in a 5g bucket (White Cloud Minnows & Amano Shrimp) I left a tad bit of water to keep the plants and filter cartridge in.
    I took my 20gH and drained all the water except for about 2g, and left the gravel and snails in there. Then I took the Molly and Tetras and put them in a 5g bucket, and the Rasboras and Platies in a 3g bucket. I did the same with the plants and filter cartridge as the 10g.
    For the 1g Betta tank, I completely drained it, left the gravel and decorations in it, and I placed the Betta in her little plastic container that she came in along with some of her tank water.
    The drive was only 3 hours, so I wasn't planning for a long time, but it really worked for me!! Everyone arrived happy and healthy, and there was no mini cycles! We did make sure though that we didn't make an drastic stops or turns to minimize sloshing... It worked out great!

13. navarro1950

navarro1950Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How large are each of your tanks? Depending on the size you may be able to use the styrofoam boxes the LFS get there fish orders in and they are usually free

14. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    Just started
    A 5.5g, a 20g Tall, and a 28g bowfront.

15. Water Logged

Water LoggedValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You might want to hold off feeding them for a day or two before you move ( it may sound mean but they can go quite a while without eating and be ok) to help cut down on toxins in the water.

Also I would do a good WC in each tank before filling your buckets with it.

Good luck with the move and with all the other issues you are dealing with. Just remember to breathe.....everything will be ok.

:0)

16. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    Just started
    I've started holding off food and have water changes on the schedule today and tomorrow. We leave Saturday morning :)

17. Water Logged

Water LoggedValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If you are switching between well and municipal water make sure you acclimate them slowly. I found this out the hard way after moving and switching to well water ( that has 0.25 a 0.5 ammonia in it....I use prime for all my WC).

Sent from my iPhone

18. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    Just started
    It's municipal to municipal, but different cities, states. I plan on acclimating slowly as I set up the tanks, for a bit after as well.

19. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    Just started
    Everyone made it. In buckets. Packed tightly. The last hour or so there was a lot of 'turbulence'. Really scared me. Bad roads!

Unfortunately, my dad decided he only wanted to set up two tanks. Not three. It'll be a tight fit, but I think it'll be okay with both filters running on it and a little extra maintenance. My daughter gets to keep her fish this way.

It appears a lot of my snails survived the ride with gravel. Even the baby assassins!

Working on acclimation now!

20. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Glad to hear the move went well!

Best of luck getting all set back up.