Moving With 20g Freshwater Tank

1. bettalicious

bettalicious New Member Member

Hello!

I’m hoping someone can help me figure this out. Basically I’m moving soon and I currently have a 20 gallon tank. I have one guppy and two mollies, they’re doing well.

My real big issue I’m having is figuring out how to move the water. I was planning on going to an aquarium store to ask some employees to see if they have any ideas, but if someone here has personal experience doing this too please let me know how it went for you.

I obviously don’t want to re do the whole cycling process because I wouldn’t have a place to put my babies until the tank would be cycled. So I’d have them 2 weeks without a set tank if I just got rid of the water and redid the cycle.

Thanks.

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Your beneficial bacteria lives mostly in your filter media, so you could get rid of all your water and still have a cycle when you arrive.

Purchase a battery powered air pump and an airstone. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with tank water and put your fish and filter media inside. Then throw out the rest of the water and empty the tank. Set up the airstone for aeration.

When you get there, fill the tank with new water. Set up your filter with the wet filter media. Then acclimate your fish to the tank just as you would for new fish. You should get an instant cycle.

EDIT: I wouldn’t put the bucket water into the tank when you arrive, because it will be nasty after the trip.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

How far away are you moving? If its close by, you should have similar water conditions so theres no need to take some water with you however if its further away or on a different system, take some water (like 10-15 g) so the fish arent exposed to excess shocj during the move.

4. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Luckily I have experience with this, when I moved away from home. Here's what worked:

Media in sandwich bags with tank water

Fish sorted into species, each with their own bucket with some cellophane over the top

substrates sorted into buckets, with plants and some water

brought each tank over 1 by one in the car

brought stands, ornaments and supplies over

It's easier than i sounds o_O