Moving With 15g Tank In Car (2 Overnight Stays)

spklvr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Because of work, I'm moving to the other side of the country. The car trip will take 3 days, with 2 overnight stays. Current plan is remove decorations, filter and heater from tank, and leave just enough water for the fish (a single betta and 3 nerites) to move around. Then tie it up in the trunk of the car, wrap a duvet around it for protection and insulation, and basically hope for the best I suppose.

Anyone have better suggestions? Something I'm wondering is if I should put the fish and the nerites in a separate container.

Also wondering about cycling and recommended ways to introduce the fish and nerites to new water conditions.

Thank you in advance.

_Sara_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!
Well.... Considering about half of your microbes may die without constant input. You can either collect fish wastewater to double microbes, or, regrow them after the move.
Also, keep all your microbe goodies under water (uncovered or with holes), else they deplete.

I am about to move later in the year too, so I have not tried this, but, I was considering to put some decorations in the fish/snail bags to help the cycle keep rolling.

To answer your question, I would keep them in separate bags, more water, the better to dilute toxins.

Last edited:

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’ve moved large fish in pails with the original sponge filters using the inverters that fit into the car plug ins. Personally when moving bettas, I tend to just put hem back in the cup I got them in. They’ll be perfectly fine in them for afew days if fed conservatively. Get a turkey baster to spot check if needed during the trip.

spklvr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What I might do is put them in a food grade plastic container with tank water and duck weed, and then just let them fast for the couple of days it takes. I don't want to make the water worse than it is. Suggestions for keeping the temp up in the car? Put them in an insulated bag with a heater pad? Or will that be unnecessary? Just thinking about the air conditioning being on in the car.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5g bucket from Home Depot or Lowes with a lid. Fill with 2g of water and do a 50% change each night at the hotel. Open the lid every gas stop. No need for aeration during the trip as the movement of the car will aerate and the betta is a labyrinth fish. The nerites will be fine.

_Sara_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
5g bucket from Home Depot or Lowes with a lid. Fill with 2g of water and do a 50% change each night at the hotel. Open the lid every gas stop. No need for aeration during the trip as the movement of the car will aerate and the betta is a labyrinth fish. The nerites will be fine.
What about feeding? Feed like normal?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You don't have to feed them for the 2 days but if you're changing the water every night, it doesn't really matter.

Also, if space in the vehicle is a concern, Lowes has 2g buckets with lids. A betta and 3 nerites would be fine in 1g of water for 2 days, even w/o water changes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom