Moving w an aggressive fish?

Bunnyuwu

Reaction score
Hi!! So,,,, due to,,, slot of events,,, and my mom threatening to continuously kick me out even though I'm still a minor,,, I'm going to be moving in with my boyfriend temporarily,,, but,,, the problem is my tanks,,, I have a 20 gallon with 15 pounds of gravel, small coral rock, lots of decor, filter, heater, lights n such,, and then 2, 10 gallons, one with five pounds of gravel, plants, spongebob decor, heaters, and a filter and the other is just my hermit crabs,,, but their tank is light so I'm not worried about them,,,

Main problem is the 20 gallon,,, I've no clue where to even start,,, all of my buckets are broken,,, and the baggies that I have won't suffice because I have one aggressive as heck blood parrot cichlid,,, hes bitten through bags before (I always move him out of the tank while I clean it otherwise he bites me or my net. Which,,, I hate moving him because it stresses him but,,, he gets stressed when I don't move him too so ;^;)) I,,, also only,, really have $3 to my name rn,,,

And the other tank just has 3 peaceful buenas aires tetras;;;

Any and all advice helps,,, thank you ;^;
Jeffery (the blood parrot cichlid) moves his plants and decor around himself though so that's why they all look kinda sideways n such.

Attachments

magentatooth

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this :(
I just moved four tanks and for two I left the height of my tallest fish’s amount of water in them 1.5 inch, discarded the rest.

I refilled at new house

So far none of the 70 died :/ in case this helps

So I basically just transported empty tanks with fish in them (I took decor out but not gravel)

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here are some ideas and things I've done in the past
To move fish you can put them in Tupperware containers or large pans with the lids taped on. In a pinch I have used the bottom of a black 55 gal trash bag and secured it with a tight knot or rubber band. You can use a cardboard box to hold the shape if you need to. You can also get a new 5 gal bucket from Lowe's for $3 each but I think the lids cost extra and price may vary by location. I have used plastic totes many times. You can use a vase or a flowerpot with no drainage. Anything that holds water can hold a fish... Just make sure it doesn't have any chemicals that could harm them.
To move the tanks I would just carry them. You will probably need to drain some water out, maybe a lot. It depends how strong you are. A gallon of water weighs 8-9 lbs. That means your 20 would only weigh maybe just over 100 lbs half full and with all the decor inside. Your 10s would only be 50 or 60 lbs of you did the same. Make sure you secure them well in the car and try and make them sit flat so they don't crack. If they don't have lids tape a trash bag over them. If you can get water from your new location that is fish safe you might be able to dump out more water to make them lighter. Just Make sure you keep your biological filtration moist while traveling and make sure the fish have enough air.
If you need to buy time I've discovered an aquarium goes almost unnoticed in a closet with the light off and the water level high to prevent waterfall noise. The same can go for a wardrobe or under the bed.

magentatooth

Reaction score
magentatooth said:
So sorry to hear this :(
I just moved four tanks and for two I left the height of my tallest fish’s amount of water in them 1.5 inch, discarded the rest.

I refilled at new house

So far none of the 70 died :/ in case this helps

So I basically just transported empty tanks with fish in them (I took decor out but not gravel)
I have community tropical so loss of any one fish would be less painful for me than you though :(

mrsP

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear your situation. One solution would be first to transfer smaller tank, then when all fish are there, transfer bigger one. Then you can keep that aggressive fish in bucket. Or if that's not possible, I would do next thing: take a cardboard box, and put a large bin bag in it. Next, layer a large towel or something to cover it, then another plastic bag. If you want, you can still add a layer of fabric and a 3rd bag. This way if fish manages to bite though one bag, it won't be able to bite though next, and box keeps the bags, water and fish easily transferable. Added benefit: keeps water temperature better during move.

I wish you good luck from all of my heart. You can pull through that and have a good life, just make yourself a plan and go for it.

Love, mrsP

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I have no idea where you live but I have amassed a nice bucket collection over the years. I’m near Buffalo NY and I know it’s a long shot but if you’re close I’d be happy to give you a few buckets.

New Threads