Moving Up Tanks

AGentJ2468

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys, I'm planning on upgrading to my biggest tank yet(currently a 40 gallon breeder), which will be a 55 gallon(48Lx14Wx21H). I currently have a tidal 75 gallon filter along with 200W heater that is controlled outside of the tank(Hygger Titanium Tube Submersible Pinpoint Aquarium Heater With Digital Thermostat, IC Temp Controller). My light is a AquaSky Fluval app controlled, substrate is ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia Light(Normal Type). I also have a bubbler/light that goes on the back side of my tank if that's anything important.

Now to the questions about such a big tank!
-Will I need two heaters for both sides of tank for even tank temperature throughout the tank?
-Will I need to invest in a second filter if I'm looking for a nicely stocked tank?
-Is the 55 gallon footprint the same as a 40 gallon footprint?
-What exactly does the footprint of a tank mean?(I'm relatively new)
-Do I have good quality substrate for a heavily planted tank?
-Is my one light on top enough?

Thank you all for the help in advance! :)

And please check out my other thread on stocking it!

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 200w heater in my 55 and it keeps it 81* no problem. I wouldn't worry about another heater unless you have issues keeping temp.

I have a Aquasky also which seems to be doing well. Mine is a 48 inch.

I use a air stone purely for biofilm on the surface. Otherwise it is decoration.

I don't have any experience with your substrate. It will probably be fine. Not sure on 2 filters either. I only have one.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a single 200W heater on the left side of my 53g and its enough to heat my tank well. You can try out the 200W yourself and see how it does, I have enough flow that the heat is dispersed pretty evenly.

I don't use HOB filters so I'm unsure if your filter is good enough for the tank, but I like to overfilter my tanks. I had a canister rated for up to 75 gallons on my 53g and it didn't seem to be enough for me. Now I have one rated for up to around 180g I believe. Much better. There are better people to answer this question for you, I personally wouldn't want just a single 75 gallon HOB on my tank. I'm sure it will do fine for you.

If the tank was a 40 long then it would have the same footprint. If it was a 40 breeder then the 55 would have a larger footprint. The footprint of the tank is the length x the width of the tank, how big the tank is not including height. So, essentially the room on the bottom of the tank is the footprint.

I don't use that substrate, so I can't answer you there. I just use sand and gravel and my plants do just fine.

I have had a single aquasky on my 53g tank for a year and my plants do amazingly. Just recently I got a second one, just so I can have more light on the front of the tank as the previous one was positioned towards the rear. But one was more than enough for my tank and plants.

OP
A

AGentJ2468

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 Thank you so much!
Feohw would you suggest canister over HOB filter and if so what price range would I be looking at, thank you!

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AGentJ2468 said:
StarGirl15 Thank you so much!
Feohw would you suggest canister over HOB filter and if so what price range would I be looking at, thank you!
Personally I'm not a fan of HOBs, I currently have one on my 6g. I used to have a few more on other tanks but replaced them. I'm a cansiter and sponge filter guy. My 75 gallon canister was 100 euro and my 180g was around 150 euro I believe. I'm not sure how they would be priced for an American.

But that's just me. There are plenty out there that would choose a HOB over a canister. If I were to go the HOB route for a 55 I would probably do two tidal 75s. As you have the HOB already this may be the best route for you.

Loachland

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like canisters and HOBs for different things - I feel like canisters provide better filtration and bacterial culture, but HOBs turn water over at a higher rate. I'm upgrading like you and my plan is to keep my EHEIM canister and supplement with HOBs.

Most canisters at my LFS cost 100+ dollars, but prices run high there because it's a local business. An EHEIM 2211, which is what I have (it's too small for a 55 on its own), is about 80 bucks on Amazon.

OP
A

AGentJ2468

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Loachland ya, only reason I'm not thinking of getting a canister filter is the cost and I think a second HOB would be cheaper lol. Heard their pretty good on cleaning the water though...:)

Loachland

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I totally hear you on the money, my mom bought the canister for me a while ago - otherwise I likely wouldn't have it. Ultimately, both styles are pretty good. I think it's a bit of a quality vs quantity thing - you really can't go wrong. Two HOBs of that size seems like a good plan to me, so long as you have fish that like moderate water flow :)

New Threads