Moving to sand Question

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I got 50lb of 100% natural playsand. Other than the running it through a bucket to clean it, is there anything else I should do before putting it in my tank?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Just rinse, rinse & rinse again, playsand needs quite a bit of cleaning.
    When you put it in the tank use a 2 litre pop bottle so it doesn't cloud the water, there's plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do it

3. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I know how to add it. I just don't like youtube or google when it comes to fish.

4. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Well I got almost one side done. I don't see why people make a big deal about putting sand in. Both my filters are running with 20% water removed and no issues. Well, one of these fish pooped on the sand :( Poop stands out like a sore thumb......... :(

5. mopa Member Member

Put up a sign NO POOPING ALLOWED
    Thanks
    Management

6. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

lol just wait, if they dig around in the sand they will start pooping sand shaded poop and it blends in pretty well. As long as your filtration is pretty good then the doodie poops will disappear pretty quickly.

7. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Done for now. Just need to get more rocks and stuff.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405813483.181618.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405813508.047433.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405813540.292521.jpg

I thought I cleaned the gravel good, but still a lot of on the sand. I'll prob move the wood to a new spot, maybe back in the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Wnsanford Initiate Member

I used play sand once as a cheaper alternative to the pool filter sand I had been using and found that it compacts too much and began to have a serious anaerobic bacteria problem. My tank smelled like farts really bad. The sand started getting black streaks thru it. I ended up sucking it all out and replacing with river rocks and couldn't be happier.

9. delta5 Well Known Member Member

When I took the driftwood out to remove the gravel it stunk. The driftwood smelled kind of like a fart but I want to say there was a slight hint of sulfur to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. Wnsanford Initiate Member

Lol well my tank began stinking up the entire room and I finally figured it out when I reached down and gave the sand a swirl like I do occasionally during a cleaning and the smell was horrible! I've never had a problem with pool filter sand though which I can get a 50lb bag nearby for $20

11. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I can sniff the inside of my tank and no bad smells. I was shocked when I pulled the wood out.