Moving To Bigger Tank

DoryDoris

Reaction score
what started as an ideal for ideal pet in a bowl for child turned out to be a lot more maintenance that thought.

Currently have a 28L tank with
2 x Danios
2 x platies

Recently added
2 x Zebra Snails
2 x black cordoras (both died within 1 st week - which gutted about as waited ages to get these little beauties)

I’ve just upgraded to 58l as wasn’t until I actually see Danios in 28l tank I thought it was to small.

I’ve had so much conflicting advice from Pet store and would of happily sold me more fish knowing I had on 28l.

New fish tank has a completely different filter, so should I run new filter in old tank? If so how long? And when do I move New fish over?

Sorry am complete novice (as I recently brought API stress coat and zyme which I’ve learnt don’t need zyme)

I’ve done partial water change yesterday as Corydoras died.

Thanks

Genghis Karp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just take all of the old media from the existing tank and fully rinse it out/dump it in the new tank while the new filter is running. It'll make the new tank a right old mess for a while and you'll have to clean it up a bit a while later, but hey presto - add the fish straight away. Just build up the numbers relatively slowly after though because the original filter is not as big as the new one so it'll only be partially loaded with beneficial bacteria.

tetratetris

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Corys and danios should be kept in schools of at least 6+. Its important to their helth and amount of stress. This easily could have killed the cory.

Hope this helps!

DoryDoris

Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies.

Stupid questions

but do I put all the old tank water into new one? I have not filled the new one up completely

The new tank water I’ve just used stress coat not the zyme, should I add anything else?

Very nervous about moving them over.

I wanted to get more danios when I got bigger tank. These being First fish we got. I did ask questions in pet store and they recommended 2 danios.

I didn’t know that about Corydoras, one of them was very tiny. How long to wait before I get some more? Had tank running 4 months before got those ones.

Now I have a bigger tank can you advise what I eventually add to the ones I have already got, as according to pet shop I can basically keep a shark! But not goldfish.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Please do not squeeze all of the garbage from the filter media directly into the tank. That is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Place the current filter on the new tank along with the new filter and leave them BOTH there forever. Running two filters has many benefits.

Using this method, you can move the fish immediately. It is easy and clean and healthy for the fish. Dumping poop and uneaten rotting food into the water column is nasty and accomplishes nothing and it is not good for the fish at all.

You can use 100% new water, but I personally have ammonia in my tap, so if it were me, I'd hang onto some of the old water. But it isn't entirely necessary.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with @bizaliz3 I don't know where the idea of squeezing the waste from the filter media into the tank is coming from but it is never a good idea to put that in ones tank. It is totally unnecessary and can prove to be detrimental to the tanks inhabitants.

Since you already have a cycled tank you can easily move the cycle (bacteria) over to the new tank by moving everything from the original tank over to the new tank. Everything to include water and fish. The water doesn't have any of the necessary bacteria in it but it is the water your fish and bacteria are used to. By doing it this way your fish and bacteria will never even notice that they have been moved and basically all they will think is that they had big water change.

I would run both the new filter along with the old filter on the new tank. One can never have too much filtration.

DoryDoris

Reaction score
Thanks again for advice.

Both filters are running, Danios seem fine back to zooming around, the platies were very reluctant to leave old tank and are hiding by new filter.

Now to unstick two snails

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DoryDoris said:
Thanks again for advice.

Both filters are running, Danios seem fine back to zooming around, the platies were very reluctant to leave old tank and are hiding by new filter.

Now to unstick two snails
Im glad you chose to go that route. It is MUCH more effective and it is cleaner and safer for the fish. :)

And now with the 2nd filter, if you ever have a situation months from now where you want to set up another tank, or need to set up a temporary tank for a sick fish or QTing a new fish, whatever it may be, all you have to do is take that 2nd filter and put it on the new tank. :)

DoryDoris

Reaction score
Few more questions;-

Eventually would like to get some more Corys and Danois

How many can my tank accommodate without it being overstocked

How long should I wait before considering buying anymore

When quarantine them in old tank how long until put them in new tank, as my Cory died just after 7days

Since I had put zebra snails in this morning (couldn’t unstick them from old tank glass had to wait until they went in water at bottom) my plaites have been bobbing at the surface, could there be something wrong with snails who have found there way over to old filter - I didn’t quarantine these either they went in same time as Corys.

Did question why shop assistant got the snails out of tropical tank when I have cold water but was told this fine

Thanks again for advice.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DoryDoris said:
Few more questions;-

Eventually would like to get some more Corys and Danois

How many can my tank accommodate without it being overstocked

How long should I wait before considering buying anymore

When quarantine them in old tank how long until put them in new tank, as my Cory died just after 7days

Since I had put zebra snails in this morning (couldn’t unstick them from old tank glass had to wait until they went in water at bottom) my plaites have been bobbing at the surface, could there be something wrong with snails who have found there way over to old filter - I didn’t quarantine these either they went in same time as Corys.

Did question why shop assistant got the snails out of tropical tank when I have cold water but was told this fine

Thanks again for advice.
58l is approx. 15 gallons. So it isn't a very large tank and can't accommodate too many fish. What are the dimensions of the tank (length and width) You might be able to do the minimum shoal of 6 for both the danios and the cories depending on the footprint. Just make sure to pick one cory type and get all the same kind. But that would be pretty fully stocked. Well, other than inverts like snails or shrimp since they use little space and have small bioloads.

Either way, I wouldn't think about adding more fish until you know the new tank is stable and you figure out what is wrong with the platys. Do you have a testing kit to check the ammonia and nitrites and nitrates? How long have you had the platys and when did they start acting this way? After the move or prior to the move?

I don't think your snails are an issue.

DoryDoris

Reaction score
It’s 60cm length x 30 cm x 33.5cm depth

I’ve only got 2 fake plants, moss ball? Fish house and the two filters in it.

I checked ammonia and nitrates using API test strips all ok but I’ve read that these are not most reliable to get a reading.

Have a heater in this tank but only switched it on when filled up tank as water was ice cold (prior to moving fish over).

Platies seem fine now. Don’t think I be getting anymore fish for a while as my old tank that could of used for qaurantee was a target for child’s toy.... wow fish tanks empty fast!

Is there anything else I should be doing or getting

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom