Moving to a 30 gallon Question 

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello all,

I will soon be moving my fish, essentially the whole tank, over to a 30 gallon. My 20 gallon I have is well established with barbs, loaches, and a DG. What would be a safe method of moving the fish, filter, and everything else over? My filter I have on my 20 is rated for 30, so no need to upgrade. I'm also going to be adding another 30 gallon rated HOB after I get the 30. So, would I just setup my tank, with substrate, decor etc? Then turn off filter, extract water from 20 to 30 and add some new water to the 30? Then run the filter on the 30 and add fish? Seems too simple to me. I'd be afraid of killing fish or losing the cycle. The only thing not coming from the old tank would be the sand I currently have in there. I could add some to pantyhose and drop in if needed. The only fish not moving to the 30 are the barbs; I want a more peaceful setting. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm upgrading too and it was suggested to me that I cycle the larger tank first before even putting the fish in to avoid a mini-cycle. But that would only be if you got the new filter to run on it right away. Not sure if you'd have the patience to do all that but it's what's working for me.

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Problem is I have no room to run two tanks unless I run one on the ground. Plus, I only want to keep one.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh man, that hinders things for you a little, huh?
I'm still a beginner, so someone will probably come along to correct me but I say you've got a good idea of how to do it for what you have to work with.

Only other thing would be if you're not using the same substrate that you did in the 20 I'd check the ph of the water with it if possible. I have gravel in my 10 and pool filter sand in my 55 and I've noticed the sand raised the ph a little bit. If you're using the same type of stuff then ignore me im

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi tototime,
I guess that if you run the new filter (and the old one) and include all the new tank decor in the already established tantk (the old 20 gallon) for a week or so you will be able to go as you said without a problem. You may also want to transfer bit of the old gravel, maybe creating a thin layer under the new one. Some members recommend putting old gravel on a medium bag or panty hose to populate with BB the new gravel. But i think that if you give some time to 'cure' the decor and the new filter you should be ok.

It sounds right to me, but lets see what more xp members say
good luck wiht your new tank!!

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will probably be using a mix of old and new. I can rinse it off with some old tank water and place it in the with the new sand. I'll probably end up with 2 parts old to 1 part new substrate. It is pool filter sand. So my plan is now to completely drain my 20 gallon (with about an inch of water for the substrate), put fish in a rubber maid, run the filter in the rubber maid with the deco. Pull out all substrate in a bucket with clean dechlorinated water, run it through the water, take out old tank from area, place in new (with heater and airstone attached and ready to rock), fill in old substrate, top off with new, mix them together, fill with new water, add deco and plants, add filter. Then let tank run for a few hours to calibrate. Add fish and some novaqua to comfort fish. Sound good? Sorry for the incredibly long amount of steps, haha.

Edit: read ariole's post and I probably will add the new filter for a week so I can have twice the bio load in the new tank. I probably wont add any new decor for a while though.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads