Moving Tanks - Experiences?

tuggerlake26
Alright, so I am moving May 4th to a new, larger place (more fish tanks!), which means I'm going to have to move my two fish tanks. One is a 40 gallon acrylic discus tank and the other is a 30 gallon firemouth tank. Thankfully my new place is only a few miles away.

Any tips that I should be thinking of? I have already purchased a bunch of Home Depot buckets that I plan to put the gravel and fish in to transport. Going to try saving some of the water as well to help with cycling. Really nervous about having some of the fish die.

Advertisement
Travisb1297
Your going to want to save filter media. Water has little to no bb. How close is your new place. If you do it right, they should be fine.

Advertisement
SnookusFish
If you keep the gravel and filter it shouldnt need to be cycled again. Make sure you cover the buckets when moving, i had a friend whos fish jumped from the bucket in the bavk of t he car

Flyfisha
All the bacteria lives on the hard surfaces. The gravel has a lot but we like to think most are on the filter fabric/ sponge or cartridges. Keep all the ornaments and gravel wet as well as the filter.
Take as much old water as you can. Not because it will help the cycle but because the fish can go straight back in the tank . Topping up with temperature matched conditioned water is just like a small water change. DON’T clean anything. Don’t clean the glass as it’s a hard surface. Don’t clean the gravel. After a week you can start cleaning a little but not all of the glass gravel etc.

tuggerlake26
Thanks for the tips! I made sure to rotate in a new sponge now, so that by the time I move it will be ready and I won't need to clean it out right when I move. Fingers crossed it goes okay!

FishGirl115
Hope it's going well! Just found this thread and realized that it's May 4th! The day you said you're moving! Good luck!

86 ssinit
Good luck on your move. Being it’s happening today my idea won’t matter but... If you have a new tank set it up using the old tanks gravel and water. I would start as soon as you get the new place. Set up the new tank with one of the old tanks stuff. Let it run overnight than just add the fish. Move that tank too the new place. Do a 50%wc on the last tank draining the gravel. Now set up this tank at the new place. Let run over night than move those fish. All done and you’ve got another tank to play with.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheWalkman
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
TheWalkman
Replies
Views
ALS
Replies
Views
ALS

Random Great Page!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore
Advertisement

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom