Moving Tank

kyle88525

Reaction score
Hi, I live in a dorm at college and I have to take my fish home for spring break. I was wondering what is the best way to transport them. It is going to be a 2 hour drive back home. So should I just drain some of the water out and leave them in the tank, or transfer them into a container? It is only a 5 gallon tank with 5 neon tetras in it. Thanks

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
probably the easiest thing to do is leave everything there, and get either an auto feeder, or feeder stones, they last for 7 days, other wise, you will have a huge problem trying to preserve the beneficial bacteria in your filter during the 2 hour drive, transporting the fish is easy enough, just get a 5 gallon pail with a lid on it to keep the water from spilling out

kyle88525

Reaction score
Hmmm, well I have a DC to AC power converter. So maybe I'll just drain some of the water so it doesn't spill and keep the filter running for the ride home. Because I'll be gone for 12 days and I don't think a vacation feeder would work for that long.

felixfefe

Reaction score
Fish can do quite well without food for 2 weeks at a time. (Obviously it's best not to do that, but thay can withstand it)... I'd say they would be fine with some a feeder stone in there, just to give 'em some food over the majority of the time... I'd say it's best to leave them in your room honestly. It's less stressful for the fish and alot less work for you moving the tank back and forth.

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Another vote for leaving them behind! Having them slosh around in the car everytime you break, go around a corner or hit a bump is going to be stressful on the fish. I know you probably want to bring your fish home and show them off but you don't want them stressed out and unhealthy...

kyle88525

Reaction score
Alright, you guys convinced me to leave them. I'll just get a feeder stone and they should be alright. Thanks for all the help!!

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
good to hear that, but, you'll be faced with this problem again at the end of the year when you leave residence, so just make sure you have all that planned ahead of time

kyle88525

Reaction score
yea, i think i have it figured out for the end of the year. i'm just going to drain 1/4 of the water out of the tank so it doesn't spill while driving (going to drive really careful) and plug the filter in my dc/ac power converter so the bacteria wont die. if you don't think that will work, i'm open to any other suggestions.

kyle88525

Reaction score
I've got some bad news. I talked to my RA (residence assistant) and he said that everything has to be unplugged when we go home for spring break. They also inspect the rooms to make sure everything is unplugged. So I have no choice but to take them home now. So if anyone has any tips on transporting fish please let me know by Friday. Thanks, Kyle

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
i beleive the only reason they want everything unplugged when you leave is because they don't want to be held responsible if anything gets damage if they have a power surge, I would try talking to the resident manager about this, im pretty sure they won't have a problem with leaving a small filter and heater running

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom