10 Gallon Tank Moving tank and changing substrate. Thoughts?

BPSabelhaus
Getting ready to move my brackish 10 gal to a different room. While at it I’m going to change the substrate from gravel to sand.

So, first time moving a brackish tank. I have a 5 gal bucket and a 3 gal holding tank for the fish so that leaves me at an approx 40% water change which should be ok (not filling bucket etc to top) I’ll have 3-4 gallons of water mixed and ready

For the sand, first time using it as substrate. I’ll be washing it well as it is play sand, but any suggestions or tips?

Don’t think I’m missing anything, am I?

Advertisement
BigManAquatics
I would just make sure to add the sand after moving the tank....i kinda forgot that recently on a much bigger tank....

Advertisement
Flyfisha
Tip
Wash the sand until the water is clear.
Then wash it another 20 times.
Then wash it again.

Add hot water and conditioner to the sand as it’s likely to be very cold if your tap water is cold.

Personally I think it’s two jobs you are doing.
I would not try and finish them both on day one.

FishDin
Keep an eye on the parameters for a few days after the move just in case the biological filter gets knocked back a bit from removing the substrate.

BPSabelhaus
Tip
Wash the sand until the water is clear.
Then wash it another 20 times.
Then wash it again.

Add hot water and conditioner to the sand as it’s likely to be very cold if your tap water is cold.

Personally I think it’s two jobs you are doing.
I would not try and finish them both on day one.

Two jobs?

Cleaning the sand then everything else? If so, yeah. Cleaning the sand will be done over a day or two. I’m in no rush, yet lol I do want to minimize their time in the other tank though, mainly to keep the fish stress down.

BPSabelhaus
Decided to paint the back of the tank as well, due to salt build up on the back. So, all filled and waiting a bit for water to clear up.

Attachments

• EA420821-B7D0-4167-8437-C2580839AFF3.jpeg
    EA420821-B7D0-4167-8437-C2580839AFF3.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 32

Advertisement

bettafairy
Good job! I can’t wait to see it all cleared up. Planting in sand can be a little tricky, so just try and plan out where you specifically want all plants to be before you start accidentally tossing sand everywhere lol.

BPSabelhaus
Good job! I can’t wait to see it all cleared up. Planting in sand can be a little tricky, so just try and plan out where you specifically want all plants to be before you start accidentally tossing sand everywhere lol.

That’s easy, it’s brackish lol

Going to do a planted / Walstadt style in the future on another tank. This tank will be getting a mangrove added to it and some macroalgae. Mangrove will be trained to the rock in the corner.

It will not be getting a small castle, to my sons dismay lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 90ACD22F-1597-46DF-B5CF-1793A6F41462.jpeg
    90ACD22F-1597-46DF-B5CF-1793A6F41462.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 33
Flyfisha
That will settle, and probably is already?
That is the reason I recommended rising the heck out of the sand and the fact when I have change substrate I leave the fish in the tank. I even leave the fish in 2 inches of water and move tanks around the house. Adding back most of their old water after moving. If it fails to clear or is a nuisance in future when the fish stir up the substrate and the water goes cloudy like that I have often used an old fashioned box filter power head combination filled with just floss for a few hours.
image.jpg

BPSabelhaus
It took an unreasonable amount of water to get it mostly clean lol. I’d guess around 100 gallons. Technique made a big difference. Once I figured that out (rapidly pour water out, ignore sand that “seems” to be flying out) it cleared much quicker. A lot of the cloudiness came in after adding the old tank water. When it was just 5 gal of fresh seawater it was clean and clear.

BPSabelhaus

2DDFB7D2-491E-4C28-A5C6-C1573B63B0EA.jpeg
Of course, now I notice I painted the wrong side Nice scratch in the glass.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Peachtree
Replies
Views
Elkwatcher
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views