Moving soon!

1. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Hi guys. I might be moving to a new place soon and my main concern is transporting fish and tanks. Now how would I do that I have a 5 and a 10 gallon tanks with 3 platies, 2 betta's and a 4 cories. I want to make there trip a stress free as possible and they sill be last. My kitty will be pretty straight forward thats why I'm not worry about her.

Thanks.

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Distance?

I would bag the fish and remove the substrate.
    Keep the substrate wet during the move.

Unless it is a great distance, you should have very few problems.

3. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Well the new place that I might be moving is like a mile away from where I live now. so like a 10 minute train ride.

4. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Fish, properly bagged are fine for a day or two.

That should give you plenty of time to get the tanks set back up.

Save as much of the original water as you can to restart the tanks.

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Should be easy, I would take the fish out and put them into small containers that you can fit into a cooler, I would think the betas would each go in a container and then the rest into a slightly larger one. You could fill a cooler with water and put the heater into it for the short term while you tear down your tanks.

If the water at your new place is about the same as the old it shouldnt be too bad, but if it is very different try to take at least half of your current tank water. Bag up the gravel and keep it moist, along with the filter media.

Move the gravel, decor and tanks to the new place, get them setup and running. Once they have settled down you should be able to add fish.

I have missed a few points in here I am quite sure, however there are many others on here that have moved alot of tanks around.