Moving Snake Eggs Help

1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I found a nest of snake eggs in my yard yesterday. A few weeks before, I saw a snake that I determined to be a kingsnake, but it was definitely not venomous (it could've been a milksnake too, but the area that I'm in only has copperheads and western rattlesnakes for venomous snakes, excluding the hognose.). I personally love snakes, but my entire family besides me hates and fears them. I can try to get a picture later, but for now it looks like a birds nest (it is on the ground in the mulch) with about 20 1 inch eggs. How do I get it out of my backyard without hurting the snake or the babies?

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Take pics. The bad thing bout moving them, unless you’re prepared to incubate, is finding the right spot with the right temp. Different. I love snakes.

3. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Oh gosh no, my house has snakes forbidden :wideyed: I'll get pics as soon as I can.

I would take them to my local wildlife center, but I don't want the babies to die. I could move them to the woods behind my house?

4. Gypsy13

Does your wildlife center come get eggs to incubate?

5. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

We'd probably have to bring them, but they could probably care for them, they have a few snakes.

6. Gypsy13

That would be perfect. Especially if they let you bring a couple little ones home to release! Get a container, add soft sand, put each egg in gently without rolling it, once all in cover with towel and take to them. Call first so they’re ready for you. I’d love to have them. Idiot neighbors have killed a lot of king snakes so we’ve got an over abundance of rattle snakes. Love them too.

7. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

The eggs are whitish tan with little brown spots. There was also this weird red thing, a foot away. It wasn't shed skin or a snake.
    Thank you! I just have to convince my dad to drive me. He's terrified of snakes lol. Will the mom be affected by loosing her babies?
    Would Eco Earth work as sand?

8. Gypsy13

As long as it’s soft and won’t let the eggs shift. But he can’t be afraid of eggs, right?

9. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Ehh, he's afraid that they'll hatch in the car :p

Yup! The Eco Earth is super soft.

10. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

So I called my local animal center, and apparently if the eggs move they are no longer viable? She said to move them into the woods and they can become food for wildlife, but I don't want them to die :( Maybe I could shovel underneath them so it's like they aren't even moving? I find it hard to believe that if they are moved they wont hatch.

11. Gypsy13

That’s funny. Hurts to laugh but can’t help it.
    Oh. Moms leave after the eggs are laid. Once hatched they’re on their own. Still trying not to lol.

12. Gypsy13

That’s not true. As long as you don’t rotate the egg at all, meaning it remains in the same position during transfer and they can’t move in the sand, they’ll be alright. People gather snakes eggs all the time to incubate for selling and getting new bloodlines in their breeding stock. I don’t agree with that but it’s done all the time.

13. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

My mom is too afraid to drive me as well. Can I put them in a box with Eco Earth and leave it in the woods? I'd have to use a shovel to scoop them up though since I don't want to harm them or touch them.

14. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

Snake eggs are white and would be buried - what you described are quail eggs!

15. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Oh my gosh :) I'm riding to the park with the little eggs in a bit, can I leave them in a box of Eco Earth, open?

16. wodesorel

Without a mother they won't survive. Can you contact the wildlife place again and see if they will take them?

17. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

The problem is, I can't drive, and neither one of my parents are willing to drive me :( Do quail leave their eggs on the ground?

18. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Here’s pictures

Attached Files:

19. wodesorel

Yes, they make nests on the ground. Mom will incubate them to the correct temperature and once they hatch she'll take care of them for several weeks before they are capable of taking care of themselves.

Have you touched the nest yet? If not, leave it alone. If you already have and cannot contact a liscened rehabber to take them, try to remake the nest and put them back. It's the only chance they have.

20. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

I haven’t touched it :)

Are you 100% sure it’s quail eggs? Because if they are snakes my family will freak out lol