Moving Snake Eggs

emmysjj
I found a nest of snake eggs in my yard yesterday. A few weeks before, I saw a snake that I determined to be a kingsnake, but it was definitely not venomous (it could've been a milksnake too, but the area that I'm in only has copperheads and western rattlesnakes for venomous snakes, excluding the hognose.). I personally love snakes, but my entire family besides me hates and fears them. I can try to get a picture later, but for now it looks like a birds nest (it is on the ground in the mulch) with about 20 1 inch eggs. How do I get it out of my backyard without hurting the snake or the babies?

Gypsy13
Take pics. The bad thing bout moving them, unless you’re prepared to incubate, is finding the right spot with the right temp. Different. I love snakes.

emmysjj
Take pics. The bad thing bout moving them, unless you’re prepared to incubate, is finding the right spot with the right temp. Different. I love snakes.
Oh gosh no, my house has snakes forbidden I'll get pics as soon as I can.

I would take them to my local wildlife center, but I don't want the babies to die. I could move them to the woods behind my house?

Gypsy13
Oh gosh no, my house has snakes forbidden I'll get pics as soon as I can.

I would take them to my local wildlife center, but I don't want the babies to die. I could move them to the woods behind my house?

Does your wildlife center come get eggs to incubate?

emmysjj
Does your wildlife center come get eggs to incubate?
We'd probably have to bring them, but they could probably care for them, they have a few snakes.

Gypsy13
We'd probably have to bring them, but they could probably care for them, they have a few snakes.

That would be perfect. Especially if they let you bring a couple little ones home to release! Get a container, add soft sand, put each egg in gently without rolling it, once all in cover with towel and take to them. Call first so they’re ready for you. I’d love to have them. Idiot neighbors have killed a lot of king snakes so we’ve got an over abundance of rattle snakes. Love them too.

emmysjj
The eggs are whitish tan with little brown spots. There was also this weird red thing, a foot away. It wasn't shed skin or a snake.
Thank you! I just have to convince my dad to drive me. He's terrified of snakes lol. Will the mom be affected by loosing her babies?
Would Eco Earth work as sand?

Gypsy13
The eggs are whitish tan with little brown spots. There was also this weird red thing, a foot away. It wasn't shed skin or a snake.
Thank you! I just have to convince my dad to drive me. He's terrified of snakes lol. Will the mom be affected by loosing her babies?
Would Eco Earth work as sand?

As long as it’s soft and won’t let the eggs shift. But he can’t be afraid of eggs, right?

emmysjj
As long as it’s soft and won’t let the eggs shift. But he can’t be afraid of eggs, right?
Ehh, he's afraid that they'll hatch in the car

Yup! The Eco Earth is super soft.

emmysjj
So I called my local animal center, and apparently if the eggs move they are no longer viable? She said to move them into the woods and they can become food for wildlife, but I don't want them to die Maybe I could shovel underneath them so it's like they aren't even moving? I find it hard to believe that if they are moved they won't hatch.

Gypsy13
Ehh, he's afraid that they'll hatch in the car

Yup! The Eco Earth is super soft.

That’s funny. Hurts to laugh but can’t help it.
Oh. Moms leave after the eggs are laid. Once hatched they’re on their own. Still trying not to lol.

Gypsy13
So I called my local animal center, and apparently if the eggs move they are no longer viable? She said to move them into the woods and they can become food for wildlife, but I don't want them to die Maybe I could shovel underneath them so it's like they aren't even moving? I find it hard to believe that if they are moved they won't hatch.

That’s not true. As long as you don’t rotate the egg at all, meaning it remains in the same position during transfer and they can’t move in the sand, they’ll be alright. People gather snakes eggs all the time to incubate for selling and getting new bloodlines in their breeding stock. I don’t agree with that but it’s done all the time.

emmysjj
That’s not true. As long as you don’t rotate the egg at all, meaning it remains in the same position during transfer and they can’t move in the sand, they’ll be alright. People gather snakes eggs all the time to incubate for selling and getting new bloodlines in their breeding stock. I don’t agree with that but it’s done all the time.
My mom is too afraid to drive me as well. Can I put them in a box with Eco Earth and leave it in the woods? I'd have to use a shovel to scoop them up though since I don't want to harm them or touch them.

wodesorel
Snake eggs are white and would be buried - what you described are quail eggs!

emmysjj
Oh my gosh I'm riding to the park with the little eggs in a bit, can I leave them in a box of Eco Earth, open?

wodesorel
Without a mother they won't survive. Can you contact the wildlife place again and see if they will take them?

emmysjj
Without a mother they won't survive. Can you contact the wildlife place again and see if they will take them?
The problem is, I can't drive, and neither one of my parents are willing to drive me Do quail leave their eggs on the ground?

emmysjj
Here’s pictures

Attachments

• FF17137A-21D3-4D19-9733-C5F170D4948D.jpeg
    FF17137A-21D3-4D19-9733-C5F170D4948D.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 133
  • D072C4C7-7440-4AB4-8DDB-C4C320E893FD.jpeg
    D072C4C7-7440-4AB4-8DDB-C4C320E893FD.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 138
wodesorel
Yes, they make nests on the ground. Mom will incubate them to the correct temperature and once they hatch she'll take care of them for several weeks before they are capable of taking care of themselves.

Have you touched the nest yet? If not, leave it alone. If you already have and cannot contact a liscened rehabber to take them, try to remake the nest and put them back. It's the only chance they have.

emmysjj
I haven’t touched it

Are you 100% sure it’s quail eggs? Because if they are snakes my family will freak out lol

wodesorel
Not bird eggs. The way you described them made them sound like speckled quail eggs!

Are they soft and a little squishy/leathery to the touch? They seem a little too neatly piled to be snake eggs but they could be. Just pick the whole mass up to move it and make sure not to tilt it or flip it. If they are snakes or lizards they should survive the move just fine if you can find a sheltered spot.

emmysjj
I haven’t touched them yet, but I’ll try to scoop them without hurting them. I’ll update ASAP.

Gypsy13

Not all snake eggs are white. But are these more rounded like a hen egg or oval like a capsule? If quail, Momma should be there.

Touch one

emmysjj
I just dropped them off, they looked leathery to me they are oval

Gypsy13
I just dropped them off, they looked leathery to me they are oval

Dropped off where?

yukondog
Was the top of the nest open and exposed like in the picture? If so than they are defiantly not reptile eggs, pick one up , if you move it there is a good chance whatever they are will not survive, but don't worry to much because a lot of nests never make it in the wild. If its open like in the picture don't worry and leave it alone it's a bird nest.

emmysjj
Dropped off where?
My local park, in an area where people never go.
Was the top of the nest open and exposed like in the picture? If so than they are defiantly not reptile eggs, pick one up , if you move it there is a good chance whatever they are will not survive, but don't worry to much because a lot of nests never make it in the wild. If its open like in the picture don't worry and leave it alone it's a bird nest.
The picture is the nest what are these eggs!?

wodesorel
Were they all stuck together when you lifted them, or did they have to be moved one by one? Where they solid like a chicken egg, or kind of soft like a bubble wrap bubble?

I keep thinking it might have been a clump of mushrooms. Was every one the same exact size? Were they round? Teardrop like a chicken egg? Oval like a tictac?

midna
why would you move them...? if they are bird eggs, now the mother won't be able to find them lol. that definitely looks like a nest to me. the eggs look weird though.

emmysjj
Were they all stuck together when you lifted them, or did they have to be moved one by one? Where they solid like a chicken egg, or kind of soft like a bubble wrap bubble?
I keep thinking it might have been a clump of mushrooms. Was every one the same exact size? Were they round? Teardrop like a chicken egg? Oval like a tictac?
Definitely not mushrooms, some were stuck together.
why would you move them...? if they are bird eggs, now the mother won't be able to find them lol. that definitely looks like a nest to me. the eggs look weird though.
I wouldn’t but my family is scared of snakes and wanted them gone

Gypsy13
Definitely not mushrooms, some were stuck together.

I wouldn’t but my family is scared of snakes and wanted them gone

I’m going to get my vet to look when he comes by.

Pescado_Verde
I've never seen a bird lay that many eggs though I'm not familiar with quail so I guess it's possible. Cut one open.

kidding not kidding.

wodesorel
If they were stuck together they were not bird eggs as those are hard and loose and mom needs to turn them often so the babies develop properly. Eggs that are sticky when they are laid are a reptile thing, since the eggs can't move around or the embryo can drown. Not knowing what is native to where you make it a little harder to guess, but it could be a lizard (skink maybe) rather than snake. Lizard eggs tend to be rounder.

emmysjj
I’m in NJ, does that help?

wodesorel
There are two species of skink in the state!

emmysjj
trash.binh91
Those are definitely snake eggs.

Top Bottom