Moving-Should I get plants before or after?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by happyfins14, Jul 25, 2015.

1. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

I'm moving out of the state, and am of course taking my aquarium with me. It's a 5 gallon with a divider and a betta on either side. I'm planning to get a 10-20 gallon after I settle in. The town I'm moving to has no Petco or Petsmart or any fish stores with seven hours. I also have a Petco merchandise card that I wanted to spend on plants that can't be used online.

Maybe this is a silly question, but do you guys think I should get plants before or after the move? The problem is I don't really know how to transport them. I'm emptying the tank and putting the fish in gallon jars. Do I do the same for the plants? They'll be in the jars for approximately 15 hours. I want java fern, java moss, and anubias. They're all pretty tough, so I think they would be okay all together in a jar, but I just wanted to get your opinion.

I just don't want to waste the card. And I can't decide! :(

Thanks for putting up with this seriously ridiculous question. I'm just not an expert on plants, and I bet some of you are.
    Bye!

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

It's not a ridiculous question at all! I've never moved my planted tanks so far but I have moved them several times and sometimes they have to sit for extended periods with very little water. There have also been drastic changes in water sources between some of those moves. Some plants don't handle the upset so well but the ones you've mentioned should be fine. They are tough :)

3. OP
    OP
    h

happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Great! Thanks so much :)

4. Aquaphobia

If I were you though, I would put fish and plants in an insulated carrier to prevent any drastic temperature swings, especially from the sun hitting the car windows.

5. OP
    OP
    h

That's a good idea. Any idea where I could get one?

6. Aquaphobia

If you want to buy one, just about any hardware or camping store should have them. The styrofoam ones are nice because they're rigid and come with a tight-fitting lid. They're also cheap! Ask at your LPS if they can save you one when their next fish shipment comes in. Or put an ad on your local classifieds site to see if anyone local to you has one they'll give you. Medications are shipped in some really good ones too so ask at a local clinic if they have any on hand ;)

7. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

You could also check at the grocery store or market as frozen fish are often shipped in them as well.

8. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

9. OP
    OP
    h

Okay thanks guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice