Moving Saltwater Tank

Discordia
Hello,
I am possibly purchasing a 180 gal saltwater tank (if no one has snatched it up yet). It includes everything, except for fish for $300. It has the substrate and rocks, which I assume are live. How would I go about moving it without killing it? The seller is about an hour and 20 minutes away.

LadyS
Lots of buckets/Tupperware. It doesn’t look like it’s got any encrusting coral on it. If you can transport them submerged, fantastic. If not, just load into containers, and cover with a wet towel. I’d just scoop the sand into buckets. Don’t try to transfer either sand, rocks, or water in the aquarium itself.

Good luck!

Nessaf
Get as many clean 5 gallon plastic buckets as you can. Remove the rock to the buckets and cover either with tank water or damp paper or towels. Do the same with the substrate, just make sure it has enough water to stay moist. Then empty out the tank and move everything. If you can, have water ready to put into the tank when you get it home and get it in place as quickly as you can.

Discordia
LadyS said:
Lots of buckets/Tupperware. It doesn’t look like it’s got any encrusting coral on it. If you can transport them submerged, fantastic. If not, just load into containers, and cover with a wet towel. I’d just scoop the sand into buckets. Don’t try to transfer either sand, rocks, or water in the aquarium itself.

Good luck!
Similar to what you'd do with a freshwater aquarium. Thanks for the the info. If I'm able to get this, I'm going to need a lot of help. I've never kept saltwater. I've always wanted to and this seems like a steal of a deal.

LadyS
Discordia said:
Similar to what you'd do with a freshwater aquarium. Thanks for the the info. If I'm able to get this, I'm going to need a lot of help. I've never kept saltwater. I've always wanted to and this seems like a steal of a deal.
Very exciting! I’d look into plumbing the overflow, so you can get away from the canister filter. Sump/wet/dry are much easier to maintain, and give You space for a skimmer.

Latest threads

Top Bottom