Moving out of state with fish

Bz95064

Reaction score
First off, I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum..

On Monday I am moving from NJ to PA. It is only a 2 1/2 hour drive but I've never had to move fish before. As far as I am aware, putting them into bags and then into a styrofoam cooler is fine. I am saving at least half if the water from my 60 gallon tank and bringing it with me. The sponge and carbon from the filter will be kept wet in a container of tank water. The fish should only be out of the tank for about 4 hours but I'm still worried. Is there anything special I should be doing or adding to the water? Any recommendations are appreciated, thanks!

fishdude3233

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i would add stress coat to the water which makes them less likely to become diseased

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you keep the media & substrate wet, you really don't need to keep the old water.

Try not to bag them until the morning of the trip, and keep them them in you car (rather than the trunk or back of a moving van) for additional temperature control if possible.

+1 for stresscoat.

Good luck with your move. Safe journey!

Bz95064

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! So I went to the only local pet store other than petco or petsmart and told them I was moving and asked if they had bags I could have or buy. They told me that the fish wouldn't make it (for 4 total hours, really?) in bags and that I should put them in a 5 gallon bucket with a battery operated air pump. Uhm, no. So they're trying to tell me all their fish get shipped in buckets with air pumps? I don't think so.

So what kind of bags can I use? Are zip locks okay if I can't get bags out if petco or petsmart?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Did you read the 2nd link?

Bz95064

Reaction score
Ohh yes I did, for some reason I didn't think she specified what kind of bags she used. Great, I will do large ziplocks then

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good luck with the move!

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bz95064 said:
Thanks everyone! So I went to the only local pet store other than petco or petsmart and told them I was moving and asked if they had bags I could have or buy. They told me that the fish wouldn't make it (for 4 total hours, really?) in bags and that I should put them in a 5 gallon bucket with a battery operated air pump. Uhm, no. So they're trying to tell me all their fish get shipped in buckets with air pumps? I don't think so.

So what kind of bags can I use? Are zip locks okay if I can't get bags out if petco or petsmart?
The reason they survive the trip to be sold to the pet store is because they are bagged with pure oxygen. Fish can only survive for MAYBE 1.5 hours is a bag. I would highly recommend a bucket and a portable air pump.

Bz95064

Reaction score
Then my question to you is how do people make long trips with their fish in bags? One of the links an above poster supplied the OP had her fish in bags for over 6 hours and they survived..

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fast them the night before so they clear out their system as well. You will be fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom