Moving Out Of State. How To Carry My Plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Bruce Barrera, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Bruce BarreraValued MemberMember

I'm moving out of state in a few days (from CA to WA) and was wondering how to take them with me. Trip is gonna be around 3-4 days plus 1-2 days to settle down. I'd say 7 days total.

Do they need to be wet all this time? Could I remove them from the soil and throw them in an ice cooler full of tank water and keep them there for the week? It'll be difficult for me to expose them to light since I'll be mainly driving.

How about the soil? I have fluval stratum soil which is kinda expensive and didn't want to just thrown it away.

My two tanks are 10 gal, both with about 8lbs of soil. Pics are attached.

Thanks 20190526_011402.jpg20190424_015432.jpg

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I would do it just like u said i would do 2 coolers and configure them in your trunk where when you hit a rest stop open your trunk and give them some light and fill some big spray bottles and spray them every chance you get i'm sure they will make it. I've sent plants through standard mail across the country in bubble envelopes that take 4 days and they all have arrived fine.

3. Bruce BarreraValued MemberMember

Could I put some liquid CO2 every day? Like Flourish Excel? Would that help keep the plants alive?

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I would just focus on keeping them moist till their settled back into their permanent tanks just to not overdose or anything like that.

5. treadingwaterValued MemberMember

When you purchase aquarium plants at a big box store they are in plastic tubes, out of the water, with some clear gel and a bit of water on the roots to keep them alive. The tubes are sealed so it makes it like a little greenhouse with tons of humidity. Those last months like that.

Your idea with the cooler would be fine, in my opinion, but doesn't even need to be full. Just enough to keep the roots wet and you're ready. The soil doesn't have to be disposed of, just keep an inch or so of water in your tank and move the tank like that.

Also, your blue betta is georgeous!

6. jennalynnjValued MemberMember

Couldn't OP just leave them in the tank then, and take most of the water out, maybe saran wrap the top to keep humidity up. Maybe this isn't even an option you are interested in, but seems easier than uprooting them if you are moving everything anyways?

7. Bruce BarreraValued MemberMember

I thought about that initially but i read everywhere to not move aquariums (glass) with water inside under the risk of it cracking.

8. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, if they are in a dark cooler, they'd be respiring co2 anyway.

9. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't even use a cooler. Get a cheap 5 gallon bucket, put a little water in, saran wrap the top and set them in the passenger area. Keep the roots wet and the area humid, and you have enough light to keep them going. Id put the stratum into 5 gallon buckets just to save it. DO NOT ADD EXCEL! it isn't co2, it doesn't act like co2, and will likely do more harm than good. Plants make it across the world in 7 to 14 days in a cardboard box. Dont overthink this.

Dont move your tank with anything in it. It's not designed for lateral stresses. That's why monster fish can routinely pop seals on glass tanks without even really hitting the pane. They move so much water at a high enough speed to just stress the joints laterally and the seams rupture.

10. Bruce BarreraValued MemberMember

Saran wrap is any better than regular wrap?

11. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure what you're asking. I just mean a clear window to keep moisture in and let light in. I would get some string or a big rubber band to keep it in place instead of relying on the cling function.

12. Bruce BarreraValued MemberMember

The fish I'll be moving into a big 15 gallon cooler that I'm gonna fill with tank water.

I bought a portable pump so i can move the water a bit. Since it's a cooler i can open the top from time to time so oxygen can come in.

I have 2 questions:

1. Should i feed the fish in these 3-4 days of trip?

2. Should i change the water every time we stop on the hotel?

13. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

1. No

2. I wouldn't want to risk that. You will have different water at every stop. That being said, different parameters are better than ammonia and nitrite poisoning. It's a tough call. If you can run a sponge in your current tank before the move, it will help. You can also toss in your media into the cooler to keep the bb alive and help keep the water safe.

Careful with the pump. The air line will easily be pinched by the cooler lid. Tape a piece of cardboard into the joint of the lid where the air line will go to prevent pinching the airline shut.

14. PascalKryptValued MemberMember

Actually why not just put a bunch of plants, at least the smaller ones, free floating in the cooler with the fish? It will lower stress for the fish, possibly even help keep nitrates etc. down a bit if you let enough light in.
    I myself have moved plants in plastic bags for several days, they do perfectly fine after. Just make sure they are either in water or in a securely sealed bag so they won't dry out. Zip-lock bags work fine too and if you can find transparent ones, all the better, or just a garbage bag with a very strong knot. Do make sure to keep them out of full sun so they don't cook, though.

I also would not risk water changes with unknown local water, nor feeding them and risk ammonia. They will be fine without food. If you feel worried about the quality of the water you could always take an extra bucket or two of tank water with you and do the water changes with that halfway through the trip.

15. Bruce BarreraValued MemberMember

What do you mean by throw the biomedia in ?

I use the MarineLand cartridges that hold the ceramic biomedia inside...can i literally submerse this cartridge in the cooler water?

Note: these cartridges are separated from the Sponge/Carbon cartridges. These are the biomedia cartridges I asked if i can submerse them. I have two.

Image is attached

Attached Files:

16. Bruce BarreraValued MemberMember

I was planning in taking a jug or two full of old tank water to perform the changes.

17. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Unless its low in nitrates, it's not worth it.

18. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

If it fits, put it all in the coller with the fish

19. VishaquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Just chiming in here for the plants. I made a fairly long road trip and got some plants along the way. They were in a car for many days and nights. Here’s what I did which kept them very fresh:

Wrap them in damp paper towels and put them in ziplock gallon bags. Take out all the air from the bag and then put it in an ice cooler and leave it be. Simple and effective, no other supplies required (no excel or any ferts needed for this)