moving on friday

1. rhardy1206 Member Member

hey all my name is rachel and iam moving friday. i looked for what sub forum to put this in and coudent find it sorry. anyways iam moving and iam all set pretty much. in my 60 gallon now is 2 oscars, 4 parrots and 2 pleccos. I always knew i would be moving but i never thought about how big my fish would get. i have 4 5 gallon buckets. 1 for and oscar one for an oscar one for my parrots and one for my pleccos.

my problem is im scared. lol. I know i know typical girl. my oscars are mean. always biting at my hose when i clean and getting angry. Im scared to take them out. not sure how its gonna go. lol. had them both for about a year and they are both about 10 inchs long. guess im just looking for the easiest way to get them out. i plan on removing all my tank decorations first. any other suggestions at all for this big checken? lol

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Just grab the suckers (gently with your hands) behind the head where they can't bite you. Or get a big enough net to net them, although I have heard of larger fish getting hurt in nets. I have a Flowerhorn and a Oscar and that is how I catch them when I need to.... I am surprised your Oscars are mean. Mine are like puppy dogs always begging for food.:;jaws

3. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

try getting someone to grab them for you :)

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

have you tried to calm them a bit by feeding them by hand? they might get used to your hands in the tank that way. I realize your moving soon but you might be able to make some headway before you have to grab the buggers.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would just drain the tank and pick them up. Fish are a lot easier to manage when they can't swim.

If you try using a net, know that the fish will try to swim through the net so hold on tight.

Also, you'll need 2 more buckets for the substrate, and I hope you have lids for them all.

6. cameronpalte Member Member

I recommend having lids for buckets, and do pick them up if your tank hood is wide enough it may take a practice round or 2 but you can use your net to stick them in the write direction, and then just stick the entire 5 g bucket in them... or you can get like a smaller 1g bucket put the oscars in their, and use that to transition them whereever need be.