Moving Nerite snails

Nefersmum

Hi,

I've a couple of Nerite snails who are currently living in my small snail tank. I'd like to shift them into a bigger aquarium with my 5 wc minnows, 3 amano shrimp and a handful of bladder snails. It's a 90l tank. The last time I tried this (pre amano) it didn't go well with both snails keeling over onto their sides and not moving for a couple of days before I lost my nerve and moved them into the snail tank.

What would be the safest way to move them successfully from A to B?

richiep

Your two tanks should almost be exactly the same water so a straight swap should be ok

Nefersmum

Thanks for your advice. I'm moving one tonight and we'll see how it goes.

Fishyk80

Nefersmum said:
Thanks for your advice. I'm moving one tonight and we'll see how it goes.

Hi, I'm wondering how moving the snails went. I'm having the same issue- 5 snails temporarily in a 5 gal betta tank while I was moving. Each time I try to move one to my 60 gal they end up laying on their backs so I move them back to the 5 gal to recover, which takes a few days. So what did you end up doing? How did it go?

Nefersmum

Fishyk80 said:
Hi, I'm wondering how moving the snails went. I'm having the same issue- 5 snails temporarily in a 5 gal betta tank while I was moving. Each time I try to move one to my 60 gal they end up laying on their backs so I move them back to the 5 gal to recover, which takes a few days. So what did you end up doing? How did it go?

It went much the same as for you. I transferred them over and at first thought all was going well but they stopped moving and I gritted my teeth for two days before losing my nerve and returning them to Snail Towers. They're happy as Larry in there. It's disappointing but they just don't do well in the main tank for some reason

Fishyk80

Nefersmum said:
It went much the same as for you. I transferred them over and at first thought all was going well but they stopped moving and I gritted my teeth for two days before losing my nerve and returning them to Snail Towers. They're happy as Larry in there. It's disappointing but they just don't do well in the main tank for some reason
I've been waiting to write back to you until I had figured it out... And I think I might have, but I'm not sure and I'm back to waiting, lol.

Here's what I was thinking: I tested the water in both tanks and noticed that, oddly, the ph was different. The only reason I can think of is the little tank is a betta tank so there isn't much water flow. (I've since added bubbles.) So my theory was if I moved the snails to an temporary container with little-tank water (6.8) and gradually added big-tank water (7.4), I'd be able to add the snails to the big tank without them getting sick.

When I figured this out I already had a snail in a temporary container who I had just rescued from the big tank after about half a day. I had used tap water (7.2), dechlorinated. So I left him in there for a few days until I saw him start moving around and eating. Then I tried to slowly acclimate him to the big-tank water before adding him to the big tank. I was so hopeful this would work!

Where we stand right now: I put him in the tank on Wednesday night. He was awake when I grabbed him but quickly disappeared into his shell. I set him in the big tank. Yesterday I saw his antennae poking out until a fish knocked into him. Other than that he's barely moved. Like maybe a few mm. I can just see a little bit of him from the side and it looks like he is mostly closed but not tightly closed. I guess that's better than turning on his back and swelling up! But I don't want to try this with the other snails till I'm sure it worked.

Nefersmum

I've had several attempts at moving them across and it doesn't end well. I have bladder snails in the big tank who teleported in when I moved plants over but like you, the PH is slightly different in so that could be the problem.

Fishyk80

Ugh... all of a sudden now the snail is laying on his side! I don't know if a fish knocked him over or if he's going to start to swell or what. I think he looks like he's dead but I've often thought that and been proven wrong, so I guess all I can do is watch and wait.

Nefersmum

I didn't leave mine tbh. Almost as soon as I put him back in Snail Towers he revved his engine and shot off

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom