Moving Need Advice

Tpane27
I have a 29 gallon tank with about 15 total fish. I’m moving five min down the road so an easy travel. I plan on emptying all the water, substrate and plants out. Should I put fish in separate bags for move or get them all in a 5 gallon bucket? I put them all in a five gallon before when I upped the tank size they were in there for about an hour maybe hour and a half. Are separate bags necessary or can I get away with getting them in a bucket and transporting? I’ll be bringing as much water as possible and a friend to help.

Advertisement
TankGeek
You'll be fine to put them all in the bucket for such a short time. Just make sure the bucket has never had any detergents or other pollutants. And don't forget a lid or you might have jumpers.

Advertisement
kallililly1973
Something else to consider is a battery operated Air pump with an air stone in case set-up takes a bit longer than expected to keep them oxygenated. I would drain the water but leave the plants and substrate as is to disturb them a lot less. I recently move a 29 from outside to inside my house granted it was a shorter trip than yours I felt it was the best way seeing I had organic soil capped with PFS. Mine would have been a cloudy muddy mess for weeks if I tried removing it. Also like you stated bring 2-3 five gallon buckets of your current water and when your all set-up add the rest of the water from your new place with a good water conditioner ( Prime ) and you will essentially doing a 50-60 percent WC. Lastly be sure to keep everything in your filter in water as to not disturb your cycle. Good Luck!!

Tpane27
Something else to consider is a battery operated Air pump with an air stone in case set-up takes a bit longer than expected to keep them oxygenated. I would drain the water but leave the plants and substrate as is to disturb them a lot less. I recently move a 29 from outside to inside my house granted it was a shorter trip than yours I felt it was the best way seeing I had organic soil capped with PFS. Mine would have been a cloudy muddy mess for weeks if I tried removing it. Also like you stated bring 2-3 five gallon buckets of your current water and when your all set-up add the rest of the water from your new place with a good water conditioner ( Prime ) and you will essentially doing a 50-60 percent WC. Lastly be sure to keep everything in your filter in water as to not disturb your cycle. Good Luck!!

people in other forums were saying to take o ur all the substrate since it’ll cause more weight for the empty tank and can lead to damaging it

kallililly1973
people in other forums were saying to take o ur all the substrate since it’ll cause more weight for the empty tank and can lead to damaging it
I think it’s preference. Me and a friend lifted mine and walked it into my house where the stand was already set up without any problems. What type of substrate do you have in there? I just suggested keeping it in there to avoid stirring it up and possibly making a mess of the tank. granted we only went about 30 feet. If you strap it to a piece of plywood and place it in the back of a truck or suv I think it would be fine.

Tpane27
I think it’s preference. Me and a friend lifted mine and walked it into my house where the stand was already set up without any problems. What type of substrate do you have in there? I just suggested keeping it in there to avoid stirring it up and possibly making a mess of the tank. granted we only went about 30 feet. If you strap it to a piece of plywood and place it in the back of a truck or suv I think it would be fine.

I use caribsea eco complete two bags of it

tjander
I would think the substrate in the tank would be ok but have at least two people carry the tank to support the corners. Remember the tank bottom more then likely does not site directly on top of the stand as most stands are open underneath. So the weight should not be a problem. That said, I would empty it if it was me.

I moved my tank from the second floor to the first floor and all I did. Was empty the water scooped out as much substrate as possible then refilled slowly so not to disturb the substrate. Add my fish back and life went on. Bottom line either way it can be done, just do it very slowly and don’t rush.

Tpane27
Tank has been successfully moved! Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheWalkman
Replies
Views
JTW
Replies
Views
FreshFishes
Replies
Views