Moving my tank

Rawan

Hello! so due to the coronavirus, I have to leave my city and go to my parents' for 7-10 days. There will be no one who is able to look after my betta. should I leave him without food for that long or should I risk moving him twice in 2 weeks? my parents live about an hr and a half away. he will be stressed either way unfortunately, but for the experts here, what is the lesser evil? ps. my fish is a year and a half old so idk if he will be able to survive extreme stress. also please do not tell me to get feeding cubes, I heard enough bad stories about them not to want to try them

mrsP

I would say take him with you. Keep him warm, he'll be fine. Small tank is easy to move with you.

MoshJosh

Add cherry shrimp, they breed, the betta eats the babies? Only sort of a joke suggestion.

Rawan

Add cherry shrimp, they breed, the betta eats the babies? Only sort of a joke suggestion.
LOL that's a pretty good suggestion. if I have to leave for a while again I might to that xD

I would say take him with you. Keep him warm, he'll be fine. Small tank is easy to move with you.
Thank you!

Maxxx

I would definitely take the tank with you since it may be longer than a week depending on how long this takes to blow over. I had to move both my 9 gallon and 20 back home from college in Friday

Rawan

I would definitely take the tank with you since it may be longer than a week depending on how long this takes to blow over. I had to move both my 9 gallon and 20 back home from college in Friday
thank you! yeah that's what I'm gonna do. my only concern is killing the beneficial bacteria and having to restart the cycle. I moved him once before ( I took down the whole tank, but I kept my filter cartridges, some gravel and plants in tank water), but unfortunately my beneficial bacteria died and I had to restart the cycle. by the time I realized what's wrong my fish had already developed fin rot and some kind of parasitic infection. he barely survived so as you can imagine I do not wanna repeat that any tips on how to move it without destroying the ecosystem?

Maxxx

thank you! yeah that's what I'm gonna do. my only concern is killing the beneficial bacteria and having to restart the cycle. I moved him once before ( I took down the whole tank, but I kept my filter cartridges, some gravel and plants in tank water), but unfortunately my beneficial bacteria died and I had to restart the cycle. by the time I realized what's wrong my fish had already developed fin rot and some kind of parasitic infection. he barely survived so as you can imagine I do not wanna repeat that any tips on how to move it without destroying the ecosystem?
Whenever I move I cover all my plants (the entire bottom of the tank) in wet paper towels and keep the lid on so everything stays wet. It isn't a bad idea to leave 1/4 an inch of water in the tank. I have a built in filter in my one tank and a canister on the other so both stay wet during transport. I would take all the sponges out of the filter and wrap in wet paper towels and put them in the tank to keep the bacteria alive. I've never had a problem needing to recycle my tanks after moving. I have about a 2 hour drive but my girlfriend uses the same method and takes her tanks 4 hours away. I also keep 5 gallons of original water from each tank in a bucket with a lid (roughly $5 from Walmart). This water contains some of the bacteria in it as well. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any other advise!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Ari840
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views