Moving My Tank 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ajverret, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ajverretNew MemberMember

I had to move my tank to my parents house for a few months while I was remodeling. It's a 75gal fresh water with 2 sun sun 302s and a topfin large canister. I couldn't take care of like I was able to while it was at home. I believe they have been over feeding and water changes have been far and few between. Because of the way I work. I haven't lost any fish but the water looks terrible, brown algae and very cloudy water. I'll be doing a filter overhaul tomorrow, and possible rearranging the trays in the canister filters.

Any fool proof tips I can have them do to keep this from happening, it will be moved back next month.

Also, looking at the water turn over rate I'm at about 11x an hour, from the specs on the filters, but I know once media and stuff is added its drastically reduced. Will shortening my hoses so they are in a straight line from tank to canister help improve flowrates.?

Taking any and all advice

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

For the food, have a little pill-box sort of thing with pellets/ flakes some days, then a little note every now and the saying "Boiled Peas", "blanched spinach", "chopped garlic", "bloodworms" etc. Also leave a note once a week saying "water change" and every 4 weeks, one that says "wash filter".

Regarding the flow rate, how heavily is your tank stocked? What fish?

3. Floundering_Around

Floundering_AroundWell Known MemberMember

I would advise your parents on how to do water changes and give them a feeding schedule for your fish. You can use the weekly pill holders to portion out how much and when to feed the fish. As for water changes, ask if they can do it once a week, even if it's just 5 gallons

I disagree @Discus-Tang I wouldn't advise them to wash the filter. They might forget and wash it out with tap water and ruin the cycle, crashing the tank

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  4. Discus-Tang

Then you could write "wash filter in bucket of aquarium water".

5. OP
    OP
    a

ajverretNew MemberMember

The tank is stocked with 6 sunfish, a bullhead catfish, and a small bristlenose pleco

I'll can do water changes. I'm home for 2 weeks at a time. So I can do one every 2 weeks. If need be.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Discus-Tang

Not too heavily stocked then. I'd say your filters will be able to cope with that :)

7. OP
    OP
    a

ajverretNew MemberMember

I do want to add a small largemouth bass and a crappie. I know they get big but I have arrangements for when they get too big. The bass may weed out some of the baby sunfish my kid has put in there lol

8. Discus-Tang

Honestly I'd just leave it until you can get a container for the crappie and bass. Your filter wouldn't really keep up.

9. OP
    OP
    a

ajverretNew MemberMember

I do plan on doing a large tank overhaul when I move it again, changing from gravel to sand and putting in a 3d background. This is a south louisiana native tank. I had a small spotted gar but he killed himself

10. sloughdog

sloughdogWell Known MemberMember

How big are the sunfish? My concern would be the bullhead eating the sunfish if the sunnys are small. Bullheads can get 15”+ and start to get pretty round...4-5lbs+.
    Sounds like a cool setup.

11. OP
    OP
    a

ajverretNew MemberMember

Sunfish are 3in to 6in. The bullhead is 10 to 12. They have all been together for about a year with no one getting eaten.

12. OP
    OP
    a

ajverretNew MemberMember

Well 5hrs later.. had no choice but to do a 100% water change.

50% all biomedia, and new carbons and mechanical filtration 54b72cdd26e1684a6ebcecc074e1f8ef.jpge4a294c984289739947a225ee76181b9.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    a

ajverretNew MemberMember

After a little over a week it's still looking great 20180623_171056.jpeg20180623_171205.jpeg20180623_171148.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice