Moving My Tank

1. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

(Didn't know where to post this) Im moving from a state to another state, does anyone know how to transport a 70G tank without having ANYTHING DIE I have plants and a variety of fish in there (all/most tropical)

2. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

OH dear, I had to do that with a 15 gal. I'm not sure how to do it with a 70g.

3. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

There have been a few movers around here. One was a 120 I believe. They'll definitely have tips for you but I can't remember the usernames

4. OP
    OP
    FreshAquariums

if u do just message me please :)

love the alinon (alanon, forgot how to spell it) saying. also with the 15 gal when u moved did u have to put a air pump in the tank?

5. mg13

I did not, I actually just winged it, and none of my fish died, although the drive was mostly on the freeway. I sat next to it in the back of the car the whole time.

P.S. Thanks. :)

6. Mallorysmith44

Mallorysmith44 Valued Member Member

I moved a 55 gallon from KY to NC we just empty everything out and most of the substrate (so it was a little bit lighter) and left enough water for the fish to swim which for me was a couple of inches. And as for the live plants I didn't have those at the time but I'd say you do the same in a smaller container for those.

7. mg13

yeah, the trouble would be cycling the tank again, unless you would keep the gravel in water too. gravel is a big part of housing the Bactiria

8. codyrex97

Your most important object cycle-wise is your filter and the colony of bacteria in it.

9. OP
    OP
    FreshAquariums

so could I put the filters that were in the (filter machine...) into the tank while moving so I could keep the bacteria alive?

10. codyrex97

Absolutely! Just keep some water running through them!

11. OP
    OP
    FreshAquariums

Ah ok, Thanks!

12. codyrex97

Dirty tank water, so the bacteria can eat anything that's left during shipment.

Hopefully it goes well. Keep us posted and good luck!