Moving my tank 2 more inches off the wall....

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by kidster9700, Jul 28, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

No idea where to put this. i need to move my 38 + stand like, 1-2 inches further from the wall to accommodate my new hob filter. has anyone had success with this? whats the best way to do it? i was thinking maybe i remove like 10gal water to help? thats like 80 pounds less to move. i have a very strong person at my disposal, but is the tank/stand combo going to be okay??? i was thinking to just wedge one side out a little, then the other.

EDIT: I should probably add that not including the stand, my tank probably weighs around 450-500lbs because I have quite a few heavier pieces of driftwood and some lava rocks.

2. babynemo

babynemoValued MemberMember

I've had to move a lot of tanks lately. I moved a ten gallon tank 1 inch forward on one of my stands and had to drain the tank to almost nothing. If I were you I would drain the tank at least 50% to make it easier. 500lbs is a lot to move.

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

i mean, its not like i'm actually moving 500lbs, i would be pulling/pushing it... but 50%? thats so much. it takes forever for me to fill up my tank. especially since the sink in my room only gives about a water bottle's worth of cold water before it starts only giving hot. i would have to use a different sink down the hall and oh man, 19 gallons? thats like..... 5 trips. and then 5 more trips to fill it back up! my tank does need a nice water change though. maybe i'll try taking out the driftwood? but then i would have to unplug and remove my hood completely.
    i'm gonna see if my brother can move it full first. my only concern with that is, will the stand break??? its a glass tank so the stand only holds it up at the edges so it HAS to be moved from the stand. i'm guessing the weight of the tank will keep it on there, but is the stand going to be ok?

4. babynemo

You don't do weekly water changes??
    Maybe invest in a python water changer or aqueon water changer? They make everything so much easier.
    Also, a year ago we moved a 55 gallon tank, my dad, best friend, and I and it took draining the whole tank to even scoot it over. And that was it drained completely with sand still in it. I had a metal stand. I'm not sure if it will hold or not, which is why I would drain it as much as possible to be on the safe side.
    Moving tanks is never a easy, ten minute deal. Water weights like what? 7-9lbs a gallon? A 38 gallon tank full with no sand, rocks, or wood would be 304 pounds. Add in 40 pounds of substrate and driftwood and the stand and you've got a lot to worry about moving.

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

i totally do weekly water changes.....
    no. i'm super lazy. absolutely terrible at tank maintenance. thats why i generally do like, every other week. like 6 gallons. then probably like, every other month i actually do a 10-13 gallon water change. and i'm at month two so it's time.
    i do water changes every week on my smaller tanks. because its fast and easy. don't even get me started on the 55... thankfully its actually at the bf's house so he gets to deal with that (he just sticks a hose through the window!)
    this is gonna be the only thing that keeps me from actually getting this new filter in the tank. boo. but if i don't do it tonight, i lose my muscle man! he leaves tomorrow haha.

well, if you count like one gallon. i usually do like a gallon water change every other day. thats generally because i need the water for something hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  6. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I just did this last weekend with two forty gallons stacked on top of each other with a metal stand on carpet. I took half the water out of both, then from the bottom pulled one side forward, then the other. Not the smartest thing to do, but it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. babynemo

I've heard that water changes under 40-50% don't really do anything for the tank.

8. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

9. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

They don't. I change 50% if not more all at once, once a week.

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Do you know how much a canister filter costs?

11. babynemo

I've found them online with free shipping for a hundred dollars.

12. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Then you have more patience than I. And if anything under 50% does nothing, then it reinforces my current strategy. Why do 25% when it means nothing? I'm not doing 50% water changes every week. I'm far too wimpy.
    50% every other month? That's more like me.

13. babynemo

You at least check your water parameters once a week then to make sure the nitrates aren't getting too high, right? Same with Ammonia and Nitrites?

14. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Yeah, that's a ton of money. I just bought a second HOB for $40 to bring my GPH up to 400.
    I would rather invest in new lighting.

Yeah, I check ammonia and nitrates. I don't have a nitrite test because I'm a dummy.
    And sure, my tank will look a little dirty, but it's mostly just leeched tannins and degrading plant material.

15. babynemo

No room to maybe run the filter on the side of the tank? That's what I do in my 75 so I can keep my curious cat out of the back of the tanks.

16. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

No.... Because I have a hood that extends the full length of the aquarium.

Oh my goodness, I just wanted advice for moving the tank and to see if it's okay for the tank stand to get pulled with so much weight on top of it. I don't need a water quality lecture. I'm lazy but I do what I need to in order to keep my tank healthy.

17. babynemo

Then I don't know how much more advice to give you then to drain more than 50%, like you should be doing once a week anyways, and move the tank that way.
    :)

Edit:: and I tried to give you advice on how to do that without causing a mess, but then you decided to talk about how you don't do weekly 50+% water changes, and people are without a doubt going to worry about the safety and health of the tank and its inhabitants.

18. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

I'm assuming you have some buckets around... So drain as much water as you can into buckets, move the tank, then refill with the water that was already in there out of the buckets.

If you don't have buckets... well... they sell them at home depot for a couple of bucks each :D Or you could get a big sterilite tub, like a 15-20 gallon one and use that for water storage.

19. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't risk it. The more water in the tank the more risk for damage to the tank. I would try to take out at least 75% of the water 50% would be the absolute minimum I would ever move mine

20. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I remembered that I have a tub literally ten feet from my tank. I can change 75% easy. The issue before was the height I needed to lift the buckets was too much for me to do with more than like 3 gallons. Now I can do them almost full. But I only have two buckets so I'll keep the last two full for refilling a little. Here's how much is out so far. I think I'm gonna need to remove the driftwood because the fish won't have any room if I keep taking out water. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438130450.174405.jpg

Oh, my bro just came up and moved it. So I worked on cutting a hole in the hood for my filter, and now I'm so tired I have zero energy to refill the tank, and much less fix all the pants. I can't believe I cut that hole with scissors... ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438130509.686719.jpg

Well I was due for a water change anyways. Time to refill the tank.... I'm actually thinking of filling my tub with water, and filling my gallon jug from that. Then I can let it all sit until it's room temp AND I don't have to wait for the sink to fill the jug.

EDIT: this plan actually has many flaws.... Hmmmm
    Maybe I'll just use the tub to fill my buckets? But then I have to lift them tank height! And I won't be able to tell how many gallons I'm adding at a time.

Okay, so the easiest way to do this doesn't include me knowing how much water I'm adding at a time. Soooooo how should I go about conditioning my water? Over dose?

EDIT: forgot to add that it ended up only needing to be moved about a centimeter. And my bro helped me make the tank flush with the stand while he was here!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice