Moving My Son and his Goldfish

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am helping my son move in a few weeks. It will be 10 to 12 hours. We will be moving his 10 gallon tank and his goldfish.

The goldfish has about a 3 1/2 inch body, 5 inches with fins.

My questions are:

1. How big of a bag?
2. Or would a tupperware container be better?
3. How much air should I provide?
4. Should I open the bag or container a few times to let fresh air in?
5. Planning to bring 10 gallons of water from home so that we can set up with familiar water. Then test source water and develop an acclimation plan. Maybe 10% WC daily for a week or two.
6. We do not have a heater in the tank since goldfish like cooler water. Wondering if we should have one for Nashville when room temp might drop pretty low in the winter time.
7. Plan to keep filter media wet. Not sure how yet. Maybe in water in a bag. Maybe in container with fish.
8. Thinking I will pack the tank someplace secure and put the fish bag / container in the tank along with everything else.
9. Substrate will be wet.
10. Will pack some rags or towels to keep things secure.

Suggestions?

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A container would be better. Get a battery powered air pump and use that to oxegenate the water. Get a heater to help control the temp in the new home. Keep the filter media wet. I'd recommend upgrading the fish to a 20-30 gallon once your son gets to his new place as goldfish get big and messy. If you have any live plants keep them wet.

OP
Sorg67

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bettafish1 said:
A container would be better. Get a battery powered air pump and use that to oxegenate the water.
So a container with a lid and minimal sloshing since you do not need air holes with air pump. Makes sense.

Bettafish1 said:
Get a heater to help control the temp in the new home.
Considering this but wondering if necessary since goldfish are cold water fish. I suppose it is more about temperature variation than the actual temperature though.

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorg67 said:
So a container with a lid and minimal sloshing since you do not need air holes with air pump. Makes sense.

Considering this but wondering if necessary since goldfish are cold water fish. I suppose it is more about temperature variation than the actual temperature though.
It's about a stable temperature. If the heater is on very low it will keep the water cooler but not going up or down. Maybe a chiller would be best

New Threads