Moving My Mystery Snail To My Brackish Tank, Bad Idea?

jnf722
I have two tanks. One is a 5.5g. It houses my betta, kal el, and my mystery snail. The other tank is a 29 gallon with 6 adult mollies, 3 very young fry, and two nerites snails, one tiger, one zebra. I add aquarium salt, as recommended by my LFS, to my larger tank. In the past two weeks my nerites have been in some weird hibernation mode. They stay between the filter and the glass pretty much all the time. . .so, my big tank is getting a little scumbag. I'm thinking of moving my mystery snail over to pick up their slack, bad idea?

sorry for typos and autocorrect, but I think you get my q.

wolfdog01
The snails may be acting that way because of the salt. AQ salt CAN work for a brackish set up, but from what I have read it should really be marine salt.
Do you add it straight to the water or dissolve it in a container first?

jnf722
Container first.

And it is aq salt

AquaBaby
HI Janette Fear!

I think you'll be disappointed in your mystery snail's algae control abilities. You might find this link useful: Mystery Snail Care/sickness Guide
So, if you're only moving him over for algae reasons, that may not have as much of a result as you hope.

And, I think I read somewhere that mystery snails can only tolerate slightly brackish water... but I've never tried mine in anything but freshwater, so I really haven't looked into it - therefore I don't know how accurate that is. Hopefully someone with experience or more knowledge in this area will chime in... I would wait until I found out exactly what levels of salinity they can withstand and know exactly what level your water is before I attempted it.

Good luck! And welcome to Fishlore!

jnf722
Well, the 29 gallon tank is relatively new. I set it up with just plants (Anubis, attached to driftwood which outgrew my smaller tank,and new wisteria, bc I knew id have molly babies at any time after adding them). 2 weeks later I added 4 of the mollies (and the two nerites) thinking I had one male and 3 females, but one of those females was a male. I got two more females for. . .balance.?. I've only been adding about one rounded tbspn of salt at each water change, 25% once a week. Salinity shouldn't be too high yet. But as I haven't tested it...I really don't know. I was trying to add salt slowly as the mollies were in freshwater at the LFS.

Also, my bet ta tank is super clean and the mystery snail doesn't bother with algebra waters, so...I guess, I thought it could give him some good eats, a nice the nerites are slacking...

algea wafers, autocorrect is working my nerves

AquaBaby
LOL I feel ya on the autocorrect!!! I'm always curious what I actually posted

jnf722
How my phone gets algebra waters from algae wafers, I will never know!

Bryangar
I don’t think adding aquarium salt makes it brackish..? You can get the right salinity, but it doesn’t provide the Ph buffer and minerals that marine salt does.

That isn’t the best way to acclimate them to different water, you need to drip acclimate them, since most mollies sold in big chain pet stores are usually already fully marine water fish, they won't have a hard time adjusting.

jnf722
these were definitely in freshwater. My LFS isn't a big chain, but it is a franchise. What does drop acclimate mean?

jnf722
At any rate, the mollies seem fine. Mating fast enough to make me jealous. It's the snails and the algebra I'm mostly concerned about. Mollies are thriving, apparently, should I be concerned for them?

jnf722
omg. Algea

wolfdog01
I think it keeps auto correcting cause the way you're spelling it, it's close to algebra lol
But for the algae (see what I did there? lol) it depends on the type for nerites. They usually eat biofilm and diatoms, if it's hard, green algae or something then it's too tough for them.
Drip acclimation is basically using airline tubing and kinking it a bit so the liquid drips, then you siphon the salt water through the tube and let them drip acclimate to the salt.

jnf722
Yeah...I see what you did...my bad. I'll just keep looking for answers elsewhere or wait it out. Thanks for the help and sorry to bother y'all.

AquaBaby
No bother at all!!! I hope you're able to find the information you're seeking.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Plantedtank2021
  • Question
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
JuDom