Moving my Columbian sharks to a 75 Gallon Question

Discussion in 'Columbian Shark' started by ColumbianShark3, Mar 17, 2010.

1. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3Valued MemberMember

about a year from now I will have enough money saved up to purchase a 75 Gallon kit and stand, my sharks are currently in a 30-Gallon brackish tank, should I make the 75 gallon tank Saltwater or stick with brackish for now, I also could use advise on tank mates for them.

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

A year from now? If you keep an eye out on craigslist you can get some fantastic deals. My latest was last night - 90 gallon tank/stand/lights/fluval 405/fluval 305/ac110/2x200W heaters for $250.

3. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

Thanks I will have to check that out

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't worry about tankmates until you have the fish acclimated to full saltwater. Unfortunately, I don't know how quickly they mature, so I don't know at what point they should hit the full marine salinity. I do know that the salinity should slowly be raised over their lifetime until you hit full marine water levels.

5. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

Then I will probably start it as brackish then slowly up the salinity

I try to take photos but these fish never ever stop moving

Photo low quality

I also just got another measurement on my cats and they average 6 inches

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  6. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

great looking colums!! but IMO, even in a year, these fish will not fit in a 75g tank ...they are just too big (now) and will be (then) for anything less than hundreds of gallons.....they like a huge horizontal swim space and IMO , they dont belong in home aquariums...but I do wish you well!

7. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

would 120g be better or is that still to small, because my price range keeps me between 75-120g

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  8. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Wow! They're huge! I was thinking you still had juvies. I agree with Shawnie. They're going to want something that would really be considered more of a pond than an aquarium. Is 120g better? Yes. Is it enough? No, at least not in my opinion. The problem you're going to have is swimming space. These guys get to be well over a foot long. The narrowest part of most aquaria is something like a foot and a half. That wouldn't be comfortable for them. It would be kind of like living in a hallway your whole life.

The good news is that if you're really dedicated to keeping them, you can make an indoor pond for less than what some of the really big aquaria cost.

9. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

I could not tell you how many times the idea of an indoor pond has gone through my mind, I just wonder how hard it would be, and not to mention we rent are home and would probably not be able to install something like this in a home we do not own, it's really hard to imagine the idea of losing these guys, iv enjoyed them so much since the day I got them

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  10. stephani_m2001New MemberMember

You should really try to go as large as you can. I've had my columbian shark for almost 2 years now. It was about 2 1/2 inches when we bought it. Now it's almost 10 inches. Lately, we've been thinking about upgrading or finding it a new home.

11. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

Yeah I'm gonna try hard but it will take time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice