Question Moving my Columbian sharks to a 75 Gallon

ColumbianShark3

Active Member
Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Experience
5 to 10 years
about a year from now I will have enough money saved up to purchase a 75 Gallon kit and stand, my sharks are currently in a 30-Gallon brackish tank, should I make the 75 gallon tank Saltwater or stick with brackish for now, I also could use advise on tank mates for them.
 

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
17,320
Reaction score
254
Location
Brigantine, NJ
Experience
5 to 10 years
A year from now? If you keep an eye out on craigslist you can get some fantastic deals. My latest was last night - 90 gallon tank/stand/lights/fluval 405/fluval 305/ac110/2x200W heaters for $250.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3

Active Member
Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks I will have to check that out
 

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
13,059
Reaction score
265
Location
Minnesota
Experience
3 years
I wouldn't worry about tank mates until you have the fish acclimated to full saltwater. Unfortunately, I don't know how quickly they mature, so I don't know at what point they should hit the full marine salinity. I do know that the salinity should slowly be raised over their lifetime until you hit full marine water levels.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3

Active Member
Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Experience
5 to 10 years
Then I will probably start it as brackish then slowly up the salinity

I try to take photos but these fish never ever stop moving

Photo low quality

I also just got another measurement on my cats and they average 6 inches
 

Attachments

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
22,715
Reaction score
202
Location
Rochester NH
Experience
More than 10 years
great looking colums!! but IMO, even in a year, these fish will not fit in a 75 gallon tank ...they are just too big (now) and will be (then) for anything less than hundreds of gallons.....they like a huge horizontal swim space and IMO , they don't belong in home aquariums...but I do wish you well!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3

Active Member
Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shawnie said:
great looking colums!! but IMO, even in a year, these fish will not fit in a 75 gallon tank ...they are just too big (now) and will be (then) for anything less than hundreds of gallons.....they like a huge horizontal swim space and IMO , they don't belong in home aquariums...but I do wish you well!
would 120 gallon be better or is that still to small, because my price range keeps me between 75-120g
 

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
13,059
Reaction score
265
Location
Minnesota
Experience
3 years
Wow! They're huge! I was thinking you still had juvies. I agree with Shawnie. They're going to want something that would really be considered more of a pond than an aquarium. Is 120 gallon better? Yes. Is it enough? No, at least not in my opinion. The problem you're going to have is swimming space. These guys get to be well over a foot long. The narrowest part of most aquaria is something like a foot and a half. That wouldn't be comfortable for them. It would be kind of like living in a hallway your whole life.

The good news is that if you're really dedicated to keeping them, you can make an indoor pond for less than what some of the really big aquaria cost.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3

Active Member
Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Experience
5 to 10 years
sirdarksol said:
Wow! They're huge! I was thinking you still had juvies. I agree with Shawnie. They're going to want something that would really be considered more of a pond than an aquarium. Is 120 gallon better? Yes. Is it enough? No, at least not in my opinion. The problem you're going to have is swimming space. These guys get to be well over a foot long. The narrowest part of most aquaria is something like a foot and a half. That wouldn't be comfortable for them. It would be kind of like living in a hallway your whole life.

The good news is that if you're really dedicated to keeping them, you can make an indoor pond for less than what some of the really big aquaria cost.
I could not tell you how many times the idea of an indoor pond has gone through my mind, I just wonder how hard it would be, and not to mention we rent are home and would probably not be able to install something like this in a home we do not own, it's really hard to imagine the idea of losing these guys, iv enjoyed them so much since the day I got them
 

stephani_m2001

New Member
Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Experience
More than 10 years
You should really try to go as large as you can. I've had my columbian shark for almost 2 years now. It was about 2 1/2 inches when we bought it. Now it's almost 10 inches. Lately, we've been thinking about upgrading or finding it a new home.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3

Active Member
Member
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Experience
5 to 10 years
stephani_m2001 said:
You should really try to go as large as you can. I've had my columbian shark for almost 2 years now. It was about 2 1/2 inches when we bought it. Now it's almost 10 inches. Lately, we've been thinking about upgrading or finding it a new home.

Yeah I'm gonna try hard but it will take time
 

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
197
Guests online
3,306
Total visitors
3,503

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom