Moving large silver dollars

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by gsong321, Sep 6, 2016.

1. gsong321

gsong321Valued MemberMember

I absolutely dread moving my silver dollars into a larger tank. I've put it off as long as I can...they can be absolutely psycho at times (for no reason) but trying to net them scares the heck out of me. They aren't full grown yet (they're about 7" round) but they get so excited I'm afraid they will literally kill themselves in the transfer.

2. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

That's a big dollar, the trick is a big net 10 to 12 inches. You place the net in an open spot near the gravel and the side of the tank, with one hand, and drive the fish (slowly) into the net with the other hand. Make sure the net is deep so when you lift straight up it will trap the fish and he can't jump out. If you can put them in a bucket with a lid to transfer them.
    good luck, Harry

3. OP
    OP
    gsong321

gsong321Valued MemberMember

What I'm really worried about is, when I make the transfer. These guy's hit the glass so hard that they can knock themselves out, and that's just if you happen to startle them. They break glass heaters, I've had them totally rearrange the heavy rocks and decor. If they can freak out like that over being startled then I'm afraid what they'll do netting them and putting them in another tank. I can't put it off any longer though. I wish I had done more research when I purchased them...if I had I would have started with a minimum 125 gal tank or I wouldn't have gotten them. Right now they're in a 75 and I'm trying to get them into a 150 gal. Gee, I wonder what people do that have to move them across town or to another city?

4. fissh

Turn the lights on 2 hours before you move them. Move slowly, they're faster than you. Do the trap in the net thing I described, you can't scoop them with a net, they're too fast, you have to trap them. Just remember, no sudden moves! When people move them across town, they use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid for each fish, or a Styrofoam cooler or fish shipping box. Maybe your LFS could send somebody over to move them for you. I'm sure they well charge you, but it might be worth it. If you don't have a LFS, look for an aquarium maintenance company. If you do it yourself ( and I know you can) use a 12 inch net ( if you have a bigger net that would be better) that is deep enough to trap them. Move 1 at a time, and move very slowly. Sometimes waiting a few minutes in between catching them helps. The only fish this doesn't work well on are big catfish big plecos and piranhas.
    Good luck, Harry

5. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Harry ,Thanks for the advice on moving the larger fish. The net that you are herding the fish into should keep him from banging his head on the glass. I don't know how you would move a large pleco without it getting stuck in a net. I used a container to herd my BN plecos into when I upgraded their tanks. One at a time. Alison:;hi1

6. fissh

Alison, there are professional nets that are thick, almost rough too the touch, with a fine mesh, that's what you would use on a big pleco. (8" or larger) For BN plecos, a thick fine mesh net, again a good net. In fact there is a net with a wooden handle called a good net. Get the white fine mesh one. With a BN pleco, the trick is to get him out of the net ASAP.
    Have fun catching those little @#^%*% 's Harry

7. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

I already moved them in their new tanks a while ago. My angel fish is the one I am planning to move to the bigger tank but I went to do a water change and I smelled cyno. sure enough I looked and found it .So I am going to do a four day blackout first and make sure the tank has no issues first. I just ordered an airstone that looks like a barbell almost for this tank as well as a bubble ornament . from amazon. I already had bought the tetra whisper 40 gallon air pump for it. I want to get those both running before doing the blackout The tank had been fine for a couple of months then yuk. I have nerite snails so I don't want to use any chemicals and kuhli loaches. Alison

8. fissh

I'm not sure what cyno is ?

9. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

cyanobacteria, blue green algea. I had one other outbreak before in one 10 gal tank I had which is in the same place as the 29 is now. I just want it gone before I take the chance of moving Sparky my angel fish into the tank. It has a unique odor to it. Alison:(

10. fissh

Great article, you learn something new everyday! Thanks for that, Harry