moving - is this an ok plan for transportation?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by New fishes, Jul 19, 2015.

1. N

New fishes Valued Member Member

I am moving, not far but I have a 55g tank. I was planning on transporting the fish in gallon containers. My concern is re setting up the tank once I get there, it will take a long time then obviously getting the temp just right and such. I have about 10g of water prepared but nothing to store more. I have angelfish and rummynose tetra. Would it be a bad idea to set them up in my 5.5g for just the day then transport them to the 55 so they don't have to sit in the containers all day?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

See if you can get some 5 gallon buckets from somewhere and keep the fish in there. They should be ok for a few hours. Get as many buckets as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. w

wiedow Valued Member Member

Giant plastic storage tubs. If you have room to use them. You can save a lot of water that way too

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    N

New fishes Valued Member Member

I did think about using large storage tubs but I'm moving up and down 3 flights of stairs from one small apt to another. my biggest concern is stressing them out as well as having a lid and keeping the water temp from fluctuating too much though.

5. B

Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

You could try to insulate the water for the trip as much as you can with like blankets.

6. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

I have used new igloo type coolers & heavy duty rubbermaid tubs.

7. w

wiedow Valued Member Member

Get a car cigarette lighter outlet thing and plug a heater in for the ride

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Dont worry about heaters or filters or such just treat the fish the same as when you 1st bought them. Ive moved 3 times in the last 2 yrs all i did was fill a 20l bucket with old tank water then add the fish and plants. Empty all but an inch of water in the bottom of the tank as theres a couple of hundren rcs in it and theres no way im getting them out.
    Added 3/4 of the old water and plants after the move and topped it up with treated tap water and then acclimated the fish to the new water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice