Moving from hospital back to main tank

1. Elvishswimmer Member Member

I have had a fish in the hospital tank for about 2 weeks now, she only had a small thing wrong with her and is looking 100% better. I would move her back today, but I'm busy at the moment and figure a few more days of seperation could never be a bad thing. So the move will be this friday.

I just don't know how to go about moving her back?
    The last time I checked the pH for each tank is the same, as well as it is the same as the tap water pH. I will double check again before the move though.

The temp in the hospital tank is around 76-78 while the temp in the main tank is a steady 74.

She is in a 10G on the floor beside the main tank ( I didn't have a spare table for it).

Fridays are my waterchange days, so I'm going to do a big change on the main tank before the move as well.

Here is what I think my options are:

Scoop her out and just throw her back into the new tank (without any of the old tank water)

Or, because she is on the floor beside the tank, take out part of the hospital tank water, do a drip acclimation over a period of time, and then throw her back in the main tank.

Which do you recommend? Or a different option if you think of a better way? I'd rather not have her get too stressed and then get ill again or something.

My aquarium info is up to date on my main tank. The hospital tank is cycled and has the same readings, other than what I mentioned in this post.
    The hospital tank also has had water changes everyday and the medicines should be all removed, or at least almost all removed and will be by Friday.

2. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Hmmm... Well I am just going to give my opinion but I would strongly suggest you wait until someone with more experience answers, I am new to fishkeeping and my opinion is only based on what I know so far. If you say that the readings for each tank are the same, except for the temp. difference, what about using a bag( like what they have in the LFS to transport your new fish, can you get one of those?) Put in some of your main tank water, and some of the hospital tank water, then net your fish and put him in the bag. Submerge the bag in the main tank for 1/2 hour to allow your fish to get used to the temp., then, over a sink, pour all water and fish into a net, then put fish into main tank (that way no hospital water goes into main tank)
    Or, I guess you could slowly adjust the temp. in the hospital tank over a couple of days so it's the same as the main, and then just net the fish and put into the tank.
    Let's hope you hear from someone with more experience now, I would like to know which of these would be an appropriate manouver! I don't want any harm to come to your little patient!:)

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm glad to hear your fish is doing better!
    I'd suggest acclimating her the same way you would any new fish.
    I use an old betta cup (they're good for something ;)) I use a net as little as possible.
    Float it in the main tank and use a clothes pin to attach it to the side so it doesn't tip.
    Over the course of an hour or so add main tank water to the cup about every 15 minutes. When the cup starts to get too full discard some water from the cup and add main tank water.
    By the time you're done there should be mostly main tank water and little Q water left in the cup.

Good luck, I hope it goes well. :)

4. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Glad that you gave advice, Lucy, you know the way of these things! So you mentioned you don't use a net very often, could you do this cup method with a bag from the store? (when you bring a new fish home) I don't like the idea of any of the tank water from a store going into my tank, or is it so diluted at the end that it doesn't matter?

5. Elvishswimmer Member Member

A betta cup would not fit my fish. Heck, a full sized mug would not fit my fish. It's 3'' long with 2-3 more inches of tail
    I might have the old bag that the fish came in that might work. If not I'll us a bowl and drip acclimation.