Moving from 10g to 20g need advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jfhrtn, Jul 12, 2015.

1. j

jfhrtn New Member Member

What's going on everyone? Hope all are well. I just got a 10g LED Tetra tank about 2 weeks ago now and know i need to upgrade tanks for the bio load I have in there now.

Was wondering what I should I do for a 20g tank. Should I take advantage of the sale at Petco and get just the glass for $20 and build my own or buy a "kit"?

On a tight budget for this which is why I was wondering if I could get some advice from the experts on what to do especially on a budget.

I do want to stick with an LED lighting system if at all possible

Thanks,
    -Rick

Sent from my XT1080 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Right now in the tank I have:

-2 long fin zebra tetras
    -4 neon tetras
    -1 otto algae eater

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I would take advantage of the Petco sale and buy the tank. Then I would buy everything else separate. You end up spending more in the long run if you buy a kit. Upgrading all the junk underrated equipment that comes inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, just take advantage of the sale haha! Bought a kit for my last tank, and I don't know if I ever want to do it again, as I've been struggling with the heater, hood, filter, so ya........

4. Dom90

You also bought the cheapest quality brand out there :p

5. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Should of bought a fluval kit lol.

In response to the OP, I live in Canada so I don't get the $1 per gallon sale. What I would do is price out your tank, filter, heater etc and see how much that is, then compare that against kits and see what is less expensive. However, if you go with a cheap kit like topfin (I think they make kits) then chances are you will have issues with a filter and heater later on. I bought a 29 fluval kit and everything is good on it.

6. BornThisWayBettas

The Top Fin kit is actually what I bought, and the hood doesn't have hinges so it falls into water every time I lift it, the heater had a recall so I had to take that back, and the filter isn't nearly strong enough. So if you do go with a starter kit, my advice is to stay away from Top Fin lol!

7. Dom90

Top Fin isn't exactly "top" quality lol

8. BornThisWayBettas

Ya, I know that now......... To the OP, I also had a glofish 10g kit that worked pretty well, much better than the Top Fin kit, and they used Tetra stuff in their kit, Tetra heater, filter, ect. So maybe, a Tetra kit would be better? I'm not sure about this though.

9. Dom90

I prefer Aqueon kits but even then, I think their stuff is still underrated.

10. OP
    OP
    j

jfhrtn New Member Member

That's what I was thinking. I appreciate all the help. I will take advantage of the sale and pick up one of their 20g tanks.

Can y'all recommend some good suggestions or links to a good pump/filter, heater, oxygen system, and hood?

11. Dom90

For heater, I would go with the Aqueon Pro 100w. One of the top brands and it has an auto shut off feature in case you forget to unplug it during water changes. As for filter, many of us like the AquaClear filters, the ability to customize beats all other brands

12. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

I would get the tank from Petco and then search Amazon for all of your other equipment. Most if not all have numerous reviews and purchase price is generally much lower than LFS or LPS.

13. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

If youre on a budget, keep the filter from your 10g kit, put it in the new tank, and add a sponge filter rated for a 20g tank. Up your Zebra (im assuming theyre danios not tetras) school to 6, your ottos to 6, and your neons to 8 total. They are all schooling fish and ideally need a group of 6+ of their own kind. Id also highly recommend a 20g long vs a 20g high as the long will give much more swimming room for your schooling fish. Lighting can be done fairly cheap if you dont mind doing DIY stuff. You can get clamp lights from any hardware store, lowes, home depot etc and get decent bulbs, even LEDs and just run 2 of those on the tank, should keep you within a budget. If you go with a bit higher rated light, it should encourage some algae which your ottos will need to survive. They are very sensitive fish, and without Algae you need to keep them fed with fresh veggies like Zucchini or Cucumber. You can buy organic Zucchini, dice it up, and freeze it, adding a new piece in every day or every other day depending on if you cook it first or not. Raw veggies will generally last longer in a tank than cooked. You could then go with a glass top vs a big clunky hood as well.

14. OP
    OP
    j

jfhrtn New Member Member

They are long tailed zebra tetras. I had Danios before but returned them and went all tetra.

The Otto catfish needs a school? He wouldn't be ok alone?

Thanks for the 20g long suggestion.

Also go with maybe a plexiglass lid. I would just have to find a buddy with a dremel.

The Otto catfish will eat zucchini or cucumber?

15. Dom90

The Oto will become very shy and skittish if you dont have a proper school. He will hide rather than eat algae.

16. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Yep they'd need to be in a school to thrive, they will spend most of their time stressed in hiding without a proper school. Also I'm pretty sure what you're calling Zebra Tetras are actually longfin zebra danios, I searched pretty good and couldn't find anything called a zebra tetra. Could you maybe post a picture of them?

Edit: and yes the ottos will eat fresh zucchini and cucumber and it's highly recommended to keep some in there if you don't have a lot of algae for them to eat otherwise they'll starve to death. They won't really eat algae wafers, although you might try omega one green seaweed attached to a veggie clip.

17. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Yes I would deffinatley take advantage of the $1/gallon sale, if 20 gallon is the largest you can go then I'd advise you to go for a 20gallon long tank. A 20L is 30" in length instead of just 24". It is shorter but the fish you have will appreciate the extra swimming space, you can also have more fish due to the larger floor space as long as you upgrade your filtration.

Your filter will work for now on the new tank but I'd highly recommend looking at upgrading in the future, personally I love the aquaclear filters, I would get the aquaclear 30 for a 20L, I think a 50 might be a little too strong, but combine it with a sponge filter and it would do great.

You will of course need a light fixture and depending on the plants you have (if any) you can get a fairly low priced LED fixture for low light plants. Take notice of everybody's advice, the people here offer great advice.

18. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

I have the top fin 20g kit too (unless you're talking about the 10g kit) and I have the same problem with the hood, and I replaced the filter right away because the reviews said it was bad. I still have the heater still and it does the job, but it's not the best. I also replaced the strip thermometer with a Mercury one and am planning to replace the hood and get a versatop and new light so I can plant it. Overall, I wasted a lot of money in getting the kit (and also having it be the 20g high limited my stocking options :/). So yes, to the OP I would take advantage of the sale and get the $20 20 gallon long tank and new filter (I recommend the API Superclean 30, that's what I'm using :)) and then run your new filter along with the old 10 gallon and maybe then once the 20 gallon filter has the bacteria you can do something else with the 10g (maybe a nice roomy tank for a betta?)

19. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I started with an Aqueon 20G kit...pretty happy with it so far. The only thing I upgraded was the digital thermometer, because the one that came with it is pretty shoddy and difficult to read.

My only regret is that I went with 20G instead of 29G, for stocking reasons :)

20. Dom90

What filter comes with the 20G kit? Is it underrated like the Top Fin?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice