Moving Fishies

1. Mburt13 Initiate Member

Hi all.

I have an appx 20gal tank. Not sure exact size as I inherited it. I am moving next week and am concerned as to how to move the fish!

Any suggestions? Drain the tank to minimal water? Bag the fish, as if they were coming home from store?

Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Completely drain the tank. Moving it with water can cause the seems to break. Keep the filter media wet. Do not let it dry out. If you are moving a long distance, bag the fish. If it's not that far, I would put them in a bucket with tank water. Doing it as quickly as possible is obviously the best thing to do.

What kind of fish do you have, and how far are you moving?

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

As above, but if you have corys & bag them only put 2 to a bag as they can release toxins when stressed & keel over.

4. Mburt13 Initiate Member

thank you! I have a pleco, 2 black Molly's, 4 tiger barb, 2 striped guppies (I believe), and two sword tail fish. Fortunately I am just going a street-ish down. I will probably move them when I am less rushed, maybe after the rest of the house.

Will they be ok with only their bucket of water back into the tank? Will it have to do a partial cycle?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

If I were you, I'd bag them no matter how far I'm moving. This means that you can put them in a cooler, and they think it's nighttime while they're being moved. It also keeps their temperature from swinging.

I'd bag them, then drain that tank and move it, set it up again with water from your old house, then re-acclimate them. Save as much old water as you can--it'll mean less change for them and a slower acclimation through water changes.

Move the tank last--it means that you'll be sure of it's placement, and you won't be trying to move big furniture around it risking knocking it over.