Moving fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by swimfan, Aug 20, 2005.

1. s

swimfan New Member Member

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on moving fish. It turns out that we will be moving soon for my husband's work, and it will quite probably be about a 6-hour drive to our new home. I've been thinking that I should find a new home for my skirts here so I don't have to drive them all that way in 1/3 tank of water. THey've been through a lot already with the whole tank cycling ordeal..... has anyone ever successfully moved fish before? If so, HOW is it done? Or do you think I should just find a good home for them prior to moving?  :'(

2. J

JustinT New Member Member

Hey Swimfan, here are a few sites that will help you in your move. I've never had to do it, but will be in the next year or so.

3. G

Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Swimfan,
    I've bagged fish the day before and then travelled home 500+ miles and the fish were fine. What you can do is bag the fish just before you leave and take a portable aerator if you want to aerate the water every couple of hours if they need it.

4. OP
    OP
    s

swimfan New Member Member

Thanks a lot Justin & Gunnie....... I'll do some reading and decide where to go from there. I've got a few friends with aquariums, and I'm kind of leaning toward that way. In which case, I'll set up brand new again in our new home, and do a fishless cycle!

5. 0morrokh

0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

There was another topic somewhere very recently about someone moving fish. Does anyone know where it is? (I'm "finding challenged" :p) I think it might help you swimfan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice