Moving fish

1. Justinokay Member Member

I am moving my goldfish from my house to another house 8 hours away. I am packing them in a plastic bag with 1/3 water and 2/3 air with some anacharis in each bag. My goldfish are about 3-4 inches wide and 2 -3 inches tall. Each fish will have its own bag.
    Can the anacharis add enough oxygen to the water for the fish during the ride???

2. Bhuij Member Member

You may want larger bags... Also do your best to keep the bags out of the sun and in a cool place where they will have a minimum of light and a minimum of jostling.

My sister was able to successfully move her Betta from California to Texas in a car this way. Best of luck!

3. Justinokay Member Member

Thank you and also how can I help stop the splashing of water inside the bags during the ride

4. Bhuij Member Member

Best thing I can recommend is to put the bags into paper bags, put those in a box with plenty of padding, and do your best to avoid the bumps on the road... haha

5. Xander Well Known Member Member

Just try to ease your mind by remembering that fish are often shipped worldwide in a bag for much longer times than 8 hours - this will be stressful for the guys, but it should by no means be deadly.

If the bags are kept in an upright position, the water has far less space for sloshing and splashing. If they're down on their side, the fish will be thrown all over the place.

If you get breather bags for the move, then as long as you bag them correctly, this will eliminate your concerns for oxygen and splashing.

6. s hawk Well Known Member Member

When I came back from college (7 hour drive) fish were in there longer I just had my fish in the tank with the filter pad floating. I got a tote and used some towels as padding. Yeah they were stressed but all survived. If you use the bags and follow the advice from others you will be fine. Also my tank is a 5.5, and the only real sloshing came from moving the tote, or maneuvers under 35, and driveways. At highway speeds (on my worn out shocks) and a somewhat bumpy 2 lane road there was not much if any sloshing.

7. Justinokay Member Member

Thank you, and do you know where to buy breather bags besides online

8. s hawk Well Known Member Member

When I moved people said you could ask for them at your local store

9. Justinokay Member Member

Thank you

10. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Hi I realise I'm a little late to the party but I couldn't help noticing that you said your tank was a 5.5 and you had multiple goldfish? I don't really think having ANY goldfish in that size tank is suitable but having more than 1?! I'll let others chip in with solutions and I realise that at college their are limitations as to the size of fish tank that is allowed but I think something that is as large in size and waste production as a goldfish shouldn't be kept in a 5.5
    ~Mudkipz

11. VanillaRose Member Member

The OP didn't mention tank size and the person with the 5.5 didn't mention which stock they had. Different users. :)

12. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Yes, what is your current tank size?... if you don't mind telling :)

13. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Oh sorry I didn't notice that XD my apologies
    ~Mudkipz

14. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Don't feed them for several days before you move them. Less poop is less ammonia in the bag is less stress.

15. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Yes, don't feed any of them for at least a day before the trip, when it's time to move, just net a single fish into each baggie, when that's done place all the bags into a styrofoam box, placing cruncled up newspaper in between any gaps, once inside the car, place them in the back where it's temperature stable and dark.

16. Justinokay Member Member

Thanks

17. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

What pH are they in? If it's acidic you don't need to worry about ammonia, so there's no need to stop feeding them days before. If it's alkaline you could add some ammonia remover (zeolite) granules to each bag. It would be wise to not feed them on the day of the move.

Keep them dark during the move. Shops get their fish in polystyrene boxes, and many of them are keen to get rid of excess boxes, so you might be able to get one from a shop. This will keep the fish cool, or warm, depending on the weather. Or you could use a cool-box.

Plants won't help, and in the dark they take up oxygen, so don't put plants in the bags.

Try to get tall bags, and fill them a third with water. This will give you enough air above the water, and will stop the fish sloshing about so much. You can always stop half way and replace the air in the bags.