Moving Fish To New Tank For First Time.

SydFloyd02

Hello. I have had my two goldfish, one a yellow goldfish and one long tailed (both common) for just over a year now. They have both lived in a relatively small tank for this year. Recently I bought a tank twice it's size. I began setting it up with new gravel, then adding de-chlorinated water and some decorations I had moved over from their current tank. I also moved a small amount of their old gravel (both for beneficial reasons and in-case they preferred it) in on this day as well. The next day I added some new ornaments such as a natural looking arch for hem to play around with, an air stone (something that will be new to them) and two new fake plants. While left the tank to settle overnight, I awoke to find it cloudy. My local fish shop keeper says this is a bacterial bloom. I added a large selection of real plants and stones to the tank, as difficult as it was with all the cloudy water. I also did a partial water change which only seemed to increase the bloom, if that's what it really is (it's not the gravel, this started happening several days after the gravel's inclusion)
My plans are to first move their old filter in to support the new one, then add a large amount of their old tank water to the new, then move the fish and finally add a substance called "Professional Grade Nitrifying Bacteria"
I do have several worries. My first being the cloudiness, I am worried that this may be a danger to my fish. I have told the Bacteria will help clear it, but I am still worried. Another concern is the air-stone. I am worried that it may have bad affects, the tubing of the air-stone smells quite plasticy and it is concerning me. I am also worried about all of this stressing out my fish. I know for a fact that it has been stressing me for the last few days.

To conclude, I have been told by most that I am being over-cautious and anxious about it. However, I thought it best to post onto a forum before moving forward. This is my two Goldfish's first time moving, excluding their initial transition from the shop to their first tank, and I don't want it to go wrong and lose my fish, I have become quite attached to them. I hope my concern is understandable and if anyone has any advice towards my concerns I would be grateful, is it a safe move?

BluMan1914

Why not just move the filter over to the new tank? That way you will have an almost instant cycle.
Never dealt with that bacteria you were suggested to use.
I personally wouldn't use any bacteria supplement. I'd just move my filter over. There may be a small bacteria bloom, but that will go away within a few days until the bacteria caught up.
Also don't forget to add Prime.

SydFloyd02

Thank you, I did plan to move the filter but I didn't know how long it would take for the cycle to stabilize.

Corine1

In my experience, this will help significantly, but usually not be an instant cycle. I do agree with adding the filter though. If adding the fish right after, just watch the parameters closely, and do water changes as needed.

Bacteria blooms will get worse with more water changes when they first start. It's best to let it run its course, they will go away

SydFloyd02

Thank you very much. I wish I knew this before, I thought it was dust from the gravel at first and did a water change, hence why it got worse

SydFloyd02

hello everyone. A quick update, the move went swimmingly (pardon the pun) and both the fish are fine in their new tank, they love it. So many places for them to hide and they are a fan of the air stone, but they hate the lights and seem to think something's coming for them whenever I turn them on, lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies
Views
JazzieGurl