Moving Fish To New Tank Concerns

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kinger124, Apr 17, 2018.

1. K

Kinger124 Valued Member Member

Hello, Quick question before I start moving my fish, amano shrimp, and nerite snails

2 angelfish
    3 tetras
    1rainbow shark
    handful of amano shrimp
    4 nerite snails
    1 algea eater fish
    2 corys
    1 pleco
    coming from a 29G to a 90G
    29G has been established for about 2 years, New tank has been cycled for 2 days and I have a small school of neon tetras in there now.

Can I just transfer the fish and inverts in small cups of water or should I bag them like coming from a a LFS? Both tanks are at the same temp.

I was going to move each species once a week til the move is complete. But if I don't have to then great!

2. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Is your filter cycled on the new tank? If not then add your fish and invertebrates very slowly.. like 1 or 2 a week. If I move fish or whatever about, I put them in a jug.

3. OP
    OP
    K

Yes the new tank is cycled

4. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Just add a few species a week and monitor your water levels.

5. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

The new tank is cycled for a small school of tetras. Each time you add new fish, they increase the ammonia output, so your BB colony may need time to grow to take care of the increase.

6. OP
    OP
    K

Using a jug is fine and slowly pouring the fish plus the other tank water in?

I was thinking a one species a week just to be on the safe side.

7. OP
    OP
    K

That's what I thought.

8. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Yes, provided your ph and other parameters are the same.

9. OP
    OP
    K

Obviously nirate may differ slightly.

Ph may not be EXACT either.

10. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

Are you planning on breaking down the 29 gallon?

11. OP
    OP
    K

I put it up for sale locally. I figured if someone wanted the entire setup I would just give it to them whole with 95% of the water taken out so they would already have a cycled tank

12. mattgirl

Since that is the plan if I were you I would just move the cycle (filter+filter media) over to the new tank to jump start/instantly cycle your new tank.

Since you aren't planning to keep the 29 gallon running you could move most of the water (there is no bacteria in the water but it is what your fish are used to) all of the media and any decorations you plan on keeping over to the new tank. Doing it this way you can also move all of your fish over to the new tank at the same time.

Your cycle will not even know that it has moved. It and the fish will just think you did a big water change. You may experience a mini cycle but it should clear up pretty quickly.

I just re-read this thread and see that this tank has been cycled for 2 days. My suggestions still stand though. One can never have too much BB.

13. OP
    OP
    K

90g has already been cycled by doing a fishless cycle. So there's no need to transfer substrate or media or decor.
    I made the step and went planted as well

14. mattgirl

I just realized that so edited my previous post. If you move the media and water over to this tank you will be able to move all of the fish at the same time instead of having to do a few at a time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice