Moving fish the least stressful way

JChoh

I planning to move in a month to a house l a hour from my original house. I wanna be able to move all my fish safely without any of them dying of stress from netting and moving them there. Has anyone had experience moving fish is so are there tips?.

King o´ Angelfish

i have never relocated fish for longer than 30 maybe 40 minutes.

i used a cooler with about a third to half full of water. if you fill it up to much you will end up with a lot of spilled water and leaving it mostly empty allows for plenty of oxgen for the fish to breathe when i closed the lid.

some people use battery powered air pumps to agitate the surface and help with oxgenation. this of course would not hurt, but i got along fine with out it.

just make sure to use their same water, make sure they have oxygen, and make sure to separate the aggressive fish from the non-aggressive ones.

P.S. the darker it is for the fish the less stressed they will be

Upvote 0

JeremyW

You can get those heavy duty storage totes from home depot. The heavy duty ones are rigid enough not to bow out when filled with water.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdx-102l-strong-box-tote-in-black-yellow/1000706729

You can get them in various sizes to suit your needs.

They have a lower center of gravity than buckets, which can help avoid tipovers in the vehicle. And they allow for a larger surface area than 5 gallon buckets which helps with oxygen levels. They have nice rigid handles, and can be lifted by two people if need be. Also things can be stacked more easily on top of them. Those are all handy things in a move.

With a couple totes like that, you could put your fish and filter media in one, and your hardscape in another. And keep it all wet with some of your tank water.

Also, a move can be a very busy time, and it can be difficult to know exactly where you want to put the display tank before you have even settled in. Its nice to be able to get settled in first, and not need to set up the display tank in a panic just to keep the fish alive. With a large enough tote, you can just set it up like a regular tank. Just top off the water, and add a filter, and a heater. The fish can live happily in that tote until you get settled in, and have time to properly set up their permanent home.

Upvote 0

Hail5384

I planning to move in a month to a house l a hour from my original house. I wanna be able to move all my fish safely without any of them dying of stress from netting and moving them there. Has anyone had experience moving fish is so are there tips?.
When we got some of our cichlids we placed them in a cooler for the 40 minute drive. I am planning on doing the same thing with my platys when I end up moving. The cooler helps to keep it at the temp it was at for a bit longer and if it sloshes (don’t drive crazy!) then no water or fish will fly out. Don’t fill it up all the way, do about half way or a bit over. We had a large cheap white cooler when we got the cichlids.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Passionfish
Replies
Views
AquaJunkie
  • Question
Replies
Views