Moving fish from one cycled tank to another cycled tank

mcat

New and challenging hobby but determined to get a good grasp on it, with your help. 2 running tanks 5/20 gallon respectively in the photos.

Hello to all,

I am brand new to the forum and fairly new to the fish hobby world. I've had single Beta's for years off and on but never added any other fish or invertebrates until about six months ago. I added two zebras to my 5 gallon that housed the betta and they lived happily for a long time. I then wanted to add color so I added tetra's and don't remember much, it was a while ago and it's a blurr. Long story short, I now have a 5 gallon with the Betta, a dwarf suckermouth and a ramshorn snail. My 20 gallon which unfortunately I set up without knowing anything about cycle. Sales people just gave me rules of thumb on amount of fish/gallon, 1/4 water changes and such so it's been hit and miss and much guilt of sacrificed fish. I have purchased a test kit and have bottles and bottles of anything I might need from ick remedy to phup and down etc. I have also added salt for hard water. In the big 20 Gallon tank are: 1 Harlequin Rasbora, the original two Zebra Danyos, 3 Neon tetras, 2 Red Eye Tetras, 2 Platy (Red Wagtail), 1 Serpae Tetra, 1 Gold Inca Snail, 1 Potbellied Molly, 1 Guppy and 1 Bristlenose Albino Pleco - which I have just now read is going to be too big for the 20 gallon. Live plants dwell in the aquarium and I have a Aqueon 20 gal filter. Still learning and wanting to move my three tetras and 1 Glow tetra in with the Beta. So that is my main question at this time. I believe both my tanks are cycled (though done inadvertently). Can I just move them directly since both tanks have been up and running for a long time? (over 2 months).

Thank you in advance and I look forward to conversing back and forth with all of you. I've enjoyed reading some of your posts and threads.

WRWAquarium

Hi and welcome :)

If the water parameters are roughly the same and there are no diseases that could be transfered I wouldn't worry about netting and dropping fish between the two tanks.

Temperature, PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH and GH if you can test should be similar between your two tanks but not necessarily. If they are significantly different then acclimatise the fish in bags before releasing to new tank or the fish might get shocked by conditions changing rapidly.

Your test results will show you if the tanks are cycled.

kansas

You have a lot of species that like to be kept in groups of at least 6 and in many cases more. You'd be better off with fewer species and more of each.

That betta is fine in it's 5 gallon tank but that isn't big enough for any more fish. Thefe's always a chance your betta will kill any other fish you put with it.

You need to do more research about the specific fish your are getting and how many can comfortably live in the tanks you have.

mcat

Hi and welcome :)

If the water parameters are roughly the same and there are no diseases that could be transfered I wouldn't worry about netting and dropping fish between the two tanks.

Temperature, PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH and GH if you can test should be similar between your two tanks but not necessarily. If they are significantly different then acclimatise the fish in bags before releasing to new tank or the fish might get shocked by conditions changing rapidly.

Your test results will show you if the tanks are cycled.
So we are good with everything except the size of the tank I would move them to. Apparently they need a 10 gallon minimum. I wonder if it depends on the size of the school (4 + glow tetra) and if the Beta will stress too much. He's had fish with him before...
You have a lot of species that like to be kept in groups of at least 6 and in many cases more. You'd be better off with fewer species and more of each.

That betta is fine in it's 5 gallon tank but that isn't big enough for any more fish. Thefe's always a chance your betta will kill any other fish you put with it.

You need to do more research about the specific fish your are getting and how many can comfortably live in the tanks you have.
You are probably right. I wanted a colorful variety and started with a larger group of the neons and the glow tetras, they didn't make it because I didn't know of the cycle. These are survivors of my learning mistakes. :( I'm worried that the glow and one of the tetras are happy, they stay in the tunnels or hidden areas except feeding times. Everyone else seems to be happy swimming around. The Harlequin was sold to me not knowing..it needed a school but seems happy with the guppy and thee Serpae Tetra. They swim together a lot. Molly seems happy alone. Any suggestions on fixing? Maybe surrendering to pet shop and replacing with like species?
Oh and Beta has been with other fish and been ok, just not big enough tank. Was told that if other fish are three or more, Betas adapt and leave them alone but this guy is happy with his snail and dwarf catfish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gurs Singh
Replies
Views
peachsonas
Replies
Views
Cue
Replies
Views