moving fish from jersey to vegas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaysee, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Well, my girlfriend and I have decided to move to las vegas after our lease is up. any ideas for moving my fish and tanks across country?

the solution i see is to only bring a few of my favorites and a couple small tanks to set up when we stop along the way. when we got there wed just start getting tanks and fish again.

however, i am getting a pickup truck and may be able to bring several of the tanks with us, in which case i would try and work out a deal with the lfs to temporarily house my fish and then mail them to me. problem with that is having cycled media ready for the fish. unless i packed the filters i would be using for the tanks at the rest stops full of biomedia, then split it up amongst the tanks once we got there. we will be taking her goldfish with us on the trip.

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

How long will it take you guys to make the drive? On thing to consider is that it is going to be cold.

3. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

3 days. It'll be in feb, you are right, but it'll be warm in the car and the fish would be in a cooler.

4. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

If the LFS will ship the fish to you, taking your empty tanks with you is a good idea. Save a bunch of money that way.

Let's assume you rehome the fish with the LFS temporarily, then 2 days later you leave NJ. Three day drive, then a couple of days for the tanks to get set up and your fish to be mailed to you. That would be 7 days that you'd have to keep the used filter media wet and fed. Could you put it all in a cooler, keep it wet with dechlorinated water, and use pure ammonia to keep the bacteria alive?

5. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

That's something else I had considdered...feeding it pure ammonia along the way and until I get the tanks set up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice