Moving Fish From An Established Tank To A New One Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by norlando097, Apr 22, 2018.

1. norlando097Valued MemberMember

Hey guys,

So as of right now I have a 10 gallon tank that is a little overstocked and I am sick of performing water changes every other day to keep my fish healthy. I purchased a 20 gallon long from someone on the Facebook marketplace and I resealed the tank with 100% silicone. Pretty soon I want to move my fish into that tank but I have a few questions. So is it safe to immediately move them into the new tank if I put in all of the water and substrate into the new tank, plus add the rest of the substrate into the 20 gallon that was not used for the 10 gallon? Or will it go into a mini cycle. I would be putting in the same filter I have right now witch is an AquaClear 30. Also, would you guys reccomend to add a sponge filter along with the HOB to have that extra filtration? Any help would be great!

2. Wobbegong

WobbegongWell Known MemberMember

You can add the filter media from your established 10 gallon top the 20 gallons filter and that should insta cycle it.

3. OP
    OP
    n

norlando097Valued MemberMember

I’m using the exact same filter. Even with 50% new substrate I should be ok? Should I add bottled bacteria to be safe??

4. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

As @Woegong said just move everything including the water over to the new tank. The water doesn't have bacteria in it but it is the water your fish are used to so using it will keep them happy. Your fish and bacteria will just think they have just gotten a big water change. Adding the extra substrate shouldn't affect your cycle at all.

5. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

But the biggie is moving your filter.

With the same bioload, you should be good.

6. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

If it were me, I'd consider adding the sponge filter that you asked about. Most people advise, for an HOB filter, to have a GPH rate of 10 times your tank volume. An Aquaclear 30 only has a GPH of 150. I personally run an Aquaclear 50 on my 20 Long.

7. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

And sponge filters are the bomb!

If you wanted to use your 10 at a later date for fry, quarantine, etc. just put the sponge in it and instant cycle.

8. Tsin21

Tsin21Well Known MemberMember

I have just recently transferred from 15 gallon to my new 30 gallon. Everything from substrate to plants, fishes and filter were transferred. I also added new sand to fill out the extra space. I was testing the water for the first few days and every weekend and didn't experience a mini-cycle. So I think that yours will be ok also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice