Moving filter to a bigger tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Thermonectus, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Thermonectus

ThermonectusValued MemberMember

Hey guys,

I've recently acquired an axolotl, and I'm planning to move him from the too-small tank his previous owner had him in (10 gal), to a bigger and better tank I've set up for him (65 gal!).

The old tank has a well-cycled HOB filter on it, while the new tank has an uncycled   running on it. My plan is to move the old filter onto the new tank along with any substrate and decor, all of which has plenty of "bio-filtration" built up at this point...

I know that one can move a cycled filter onto a new tank without a it "re-cycling", as long as the bio-load stays about the same. I guess I'm just curious if that holds true for my particular case. The bio-load will remain the same (1 axolotl), but with such a drastic increase in tank volume, will it go through a mini- (or mega-) cycle? Is it worth moving the filter and watching the levels for a few days without moving the axolotl in? I can maintain his tank with poo syphoning and water changes, but it would be nice to be able to move him into his new home right away, if I could.

Thanks!

2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

no you should be fine just moving the filter. if the old filter will fit on the new tank id run them both for a month. my guess is that it wont fit so then like you said just move all the media over to the new filter and you should be good. dont let the media touch tap water or dry out. and its always a good idea to test new tanks no matter what. also doing some extra water changes to keep the tank extra clean will help ensure no mini cycle.

good luck, that is a very interesting pet you have there :) im sure he will love the bigger tank.

3. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Agreed. When I moved my betta from a 5 gallon to a 10, I put his old filter in one corner of the tank. I will leave it there for about a month until the HOB I put on the new tank is properly seeded and then remove the old filter.

4. OP
    OP
    Thermonectus

ThermonectusValued MemberMember

Thanks guys! I moved the filter over, waited a bit to make sure everything was working properly, then moved the axolotl over as well. It's been about 3 days, and levels are looking fine, and so is the amphibian.

I must admit, he does look a bit shell-shocked. I don't think he quite knows what to do with all of the space he has now!

5. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

Lol that's a good problem for him to have :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice