Moving Everything To Bigger Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by 123, Apr 13, 2018.

1. 1

123 Valued Member Member

Hello guys :) more heads is always better than just one, and so I want to discuss this with you. I am getting new tank tomorrow 1x the size I have now. The one I have now is fully cycled, but too small for my gourami. I am putting together a plan on how to move everything to the new tank, while trying to not disturb my cycle too much. I thought to do following:

- rinse the new tank
    - transfer my fish, plants, decorations, fry net with one fry to a bucket
    - vacuum the gravel and move it to new tank, put more of new gravel on top ... if I was to put some black soil in the new tank for the plants, would it effect the cycle? I don’t currently use soil just some liquid fertilizer. Would it be good idea to start fresh with some soil too?
    - plant the plants and put in decorations
    - I would put in all the old aquarium water and add more water gradually over couple of days to not shock the fish at once
    - put fishes in
    - the new tank has own filter, but I plan to run my old one in there for couple of days so the bacteria can build up in the new filter meanwhile

What do you think about this plan? Is there anything I am forgetting? Also, how long does it take for the soil to settle? Could I just add it first into dry aquarium, put the gravel on top and just then add water? Would this reduce any particles floating around? ( I don’t want to keep fishes in bucket unnecessarily long)

Thank you ahead for your thoughts and advices :)

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Plan sounds good. But just couple suggestions.
    1.i would put only media from old filter in new and leave it there or run both filters for month or so and maybe gradually remove small amounts of filter media from old one.
    2. Soil is great but you need to check what type, i don't have a lot experience with soil but i know some of them know to rise ammonia levels high so check for that.
    3. I dont know how large change is in water volume but if it's not too big i would full up tank water on day one (more water easier is to fight problems with water chemistry in time)
    4.when you scape it, put water in i would wait for 2-3 hours before putting fish in it and maybe it would be good option to put air stone/pump for first couple of days.

Good luck

3. OP
    OP

123 Valued Member Member

Thank you for your points! :) Good advices, i will try to read up more on the soil :)

4. appcontrol

No problems maybe more experienced people in moving fishes will reply with more good advices

Good luck

5. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

So when I did it I went from a 57 litre to a 177 litre with no trouble at all, no deaths, minimal stress but a whole new life, I first washed the new tank out emptied as much water as I could and dried it all up, filled the tank and let it sit with the new big filter running with old sponges and media from the old tank and just had a power head running on the smaller one for a couple of hours just for aeration and I linked the 2 filters together so the old was acting as a prefilter so all water ran through that one into the new one just so the bacteria could transfer and the tank would still work to the point of no real shock, had that running for a couple of hours while I washed new sand etc, dumped the new sand in when clean, put plants and wood in and just slowly moved fish into the new tank, it took me around 4 hours in total maybe 5 and I was up until 3am but it was well worth it :)

6. appcontrol

I would only suggest to turn off filter when you add soil and/or sand so you dont clog your filter. So i would do first soil then sand and then water, let it calm down for hour and then turn on filters for 2-3 hours before adding fish.

7. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

I did turn the filters off before adding the sand, I must have thought I typed that up but not actually done it! Haha, but yeah my transfer was pretty seamless

8. appcontrol

I needed to wrote that jus in case

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice