Moving Dwarf Puffer To New Tank Question

1. sheehanje Member Member

I've had two dwarf puffers in a 6 gallon fluval edge. One of them died yesterday - got sucked in the intake. She wasn't eating much the past month and think she grew weak. Parameters were fine, and I did a water change twice a week in this tank using RODI water that I'd treat with Equlibrium, Acid and Alkaline buffer. The remaining dwarf puffer is doing great.

While the fluval edge is a great looking tank, I've decided it isn't very practical, especially for messy fish like dwarf puffers. I bought a 10 gallon bare tank. I'm taking the puffer out, then moving everything over. Will this cause cycle issues? I plan on moving all the water, substrate, filter, heater and plants (anubias rooted to dragonstone). I will then add RODI water to fill the remainder of the 10 gallon.

I think in a 10 gallon, I may add one or maybe two more female puffers. Is the male going to attack new puffers being introduced to the tank? He never went after the previous female at all - at least when I was observing it. Is 3 too much for a 10 gallon? I've heard varying things on dwarf puffers, the most common being 1 for every 3 gallons - and is the same advice I got at the LFS.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Moving everything over will not ruin the cycle. Moving the water is not really needed. Very little beneficial bacteria actually lies in the water column.

3. sheehanje Member Member

Moving it more to keep parameters close then because of beneficial bacteria. If I change all the water out I fear it may swing too much, seeing PH in my tanks slowly creep up. It would be like doing a 40% water change by keeping the current water and adding more to fill the rest up - and that's close to what I would change out (30 - 35%) twice a week.

4. MyNameIsFish Initiate Member

I'm going to be starting a 10 gallon with 3 dwarf puffers soon. I don't have any experience with keeping 3 in a 10 gallon before this, but all the research I have done says it is totally possible as long as there are enough hiding spaces. From what I have read, 3-4 can be kept together in a 10 gallon if it is heavily planted or if there are enough separate territories.

5. sheehanje Member Member

I had two in the 6 gallon and never had issues with aggression - so I guess I'm not too worried about the quantity - I'm more worried about adding new fish to one that's already established.