Moving Corys While Changing Substrate.

Swampgorilla

Moving corys ...

I have ten panda cory in a 36-gallon tank with gravel substrate. That's what the tank had it when my last GourI died. So I cleaned the tank and the gravel and put the Corys in. They're doing fine but, due to the severe lack of corys in my home town, I had to order them online and they required A LOT of SLOW drip acclimatization before being put in my tank because my Ph is 8.2 and the water in the bag they came in was around 6.9.

Anyway I need to get these guys out of the tank at some point so I can replace this gravel with sand. The gravel doesn't do the Corys justice and sand is just so much easier for me to keep clean.

My plan was to get a small two-gallon container, heat it to the same temp in my tank and then "net" the corys one by one. And put them in the container. When I'm done changing substrate and the water in the tank is filled and heated, I was going to take the container and gently "pour" the Cory's back in to the main tank.

This may sound elementary but my experience with Corys is they get pretty stressed and really don't like you to fool with them a lot. So any suggestion on how to make it less stressful would be greatly appreciated.

Seansrl

Add hiding places to the container for sure and instead of heating water take it directly from the tank. keep the water aerated with an airstone and make sure there are lots of hiding places. Throwing decorations and plants from the tank into the bucket is what I would do in this case.

Swampgorilla

Okay I hadn't thought of the hiding places, thanks.

IRTehDar

I switched from gravel to sand for my pygmy cories and I didnt really have a suitable container so I just started shoveling the gravel out with my net and poured in the sand while my fish was in the tank. Took alittle while to get done but if I were to do it again I would do it the same way again. Just take your time and work slowly and gently.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
Rook
  • Question
Replies
Views
naterock15
Replies