Question Moving bed!

cheekless

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have a ziss bubble bio moving bed filter in my 40breeder its awesome! i wish i could add one to my 20 long but its to big. ive been looking for smaller fluidized bed moving filters.. i saw a egg tumbler! it looks like a mini filter. would a egg tumbler maybe work as a small moving bed filter??!

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What exactly is a moving bed filter? This almost sounds like an airstone buried under the sand or a water jet of sorts under the substrate??

OP
cheekless

cheekless

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MrBryan723 said:
What exactly is a moving bed filter? This almost sounds like an airstone buried under the sand or a water jet of sorts under the substrate??
"the units come with an easy to remove intake sponge and the media starts moving from day one. the media constantly rub against each other and cleaning the medium as well as only letting the strongest bacteria survive"

AO1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Curiosity got me to click on "moving bed" under filter section. I've never heard of moving bed filter.
From a quick googling, it look like a internal filter with light weight plastic bio media. The plastic moves around from water flow. I don't know if there's any benefit from that? Personally, I will not use plastic as bio media.

Edit: look up sponge filters. They will work better IMO.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It can be internal or external. There is an internal one that aquarium-cop sells and folks say it works well but is very noisy. One person noted he modded it by changing the diffuser to produce a more uniform stream of air - this worked well - according to him and also made it nearly silent:

--
The external units are usually large and meant for much larger aquariums but of course you can build one at any desired size. A few people have them in their sump.
-
Moving bed filters have a reputation to being far superior to sponge filter for bio filtration but they do not offer mechanical filtration nor do they run as silent by nature of their design.
-
Sponge filters are very easy to setup and have several benefits (imho) beyond simplicity one of which fishes love munching on the bio-film that collects on them. Not all sponge fitlers are created equally with the best being made from super dense sponge material. They are very inexpensive in general but some people don't 'blobs' in the tank.

New Threads