Moving Becuase Of Snails

MacKinzey

Reaction score
I acquired my betta from my old biology teacher and I’ve just been using the tank she gave me (which is about a 1 gallon I think). I want to upgrade to a bigger tank and I found this 5 gallon ecosystem tank (which is one that has plants on the top if that’s alright, I thought it was pretty cool). My current tank has a LOT of snails and I would like to move my fish and his things without moving the snails as well. I would also like to cause the least amount of stress to my betta. Can anybody help?

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My advice is to get a small bowl with tank water. Net the fish and put them in the bowl. Check to make sure no snails are in the bowl. Then use a DIFFERENT net to net the fish again and place in the new tank.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I see that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle in your profile, it's important for the health every fish and I suggest that you research more about it. Basically all tank inhabitants produce ammonia as waste which is toxic, but you have beneficial bacteria that live in the filter to convert it to nitrites then nitrates. Those are less toxic and can be removed with a simple water change.

You can soak items in a diluted bleach solution to get rid of any snails and eggs before transferring to the new tank. Soak items in a solution of 19 parts water to one part bleach for a few minutes, thoroughly rinse with water before placing in new tank, and dose the tank with extra water conditioner just in case.

You can add Indian almond leaves or Stressguard to the tank which have therapeutic and antiseptic properties to help with the stressful moving process.

poopsiepie

Reaction score
I acquired my betta from my old biology teacher and I’ve just been using the tank she gave me (which is about a 1 gallon I think). I want to upgrade to a bigger tank and I found this 5 gallon ecosystem tank (which is one that has plants on the top if that’s alright, I thought it was pretty cool). My current tank has a LOT of snails and I would like to move my fish and his things without moving the snails as well. I would also like to cause the least amount of stress to my betta. Can anybody help?
They also sell snail traps, put some food inside and they get inside and can’t get out. They have some vids on YouTube

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site helpful and enjoyable.

As mentioned above, it is very important to understand the nitrogen cycle. I would say it's the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

Best of luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom