Moving baby polar parrots

Diane 007

Hi everyone, I once again have a tank full of babies. I would like to move them over to a 33 gallon long are they big enough to scoop out with a shrimp net without injury?

Attachments

• D44270FD-652A-4691-8544-7D6CD9009046.jpeg
    D44270FD-652A-4691-8544-7D6CD9009046.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 40E7ED65-DCF4-40EA-BDBC-5D7253A630A0.jpeg
    40E7ED65-DCF4-40EA-BDBC-5D7253A630A0.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 11

Flyfisha

Hi Diane007,
I have no hands on with polar parrots.

I have moved fry and juveniles from tank to tank by moving them with all their own water. Or should I say 50% of the tank water they were in . That gives the old tank a 50% water change . The fry don’t get any new water or only a tiny 10% -15% new water. Whatever new tank they are in only needs enough water for the filter to work. That’s no problem with a sponge filter but is something you will need to think about with the filter you have in the 33 gallon . After a few hours a little more new water. And then again in another 4 or 6 hours you slowly add more fresh water.

This has worked for me multiple times.

And perhaps it may come as a surprise but moving fry with a hose is better than a net . A straight length of garden hose with only a few inches fall gives a vacuum that has seen 100% survival. Vacuuming into a bucket or straight into the new tank sounds rough but is recommended practice in fish farms.

I have also used a net on small fish/fry .

I see ornaments in the fry tank. You might as well pull them all out before you start moving catching or netting fry.

Of course the warning is when you remove the fry some species of adults will have another spawn very soon afterwards . Less than one month . Leaving most of the fry in the main tank to eliminate the next spawning is something to consider. Only removing double the number of fry you can successfully raise in the 33 gallon might be logical. Culling out half of those to have a healthy group and not trying to save every fry is a hard call only you can decide.

I can only see 15 ish fry in the picture but am dealing with several hundred blue acara fry myself. And have 3 batches of well over a hundred fry in each . It’s a hard job but it’s not possible for me to raise 5 hundred 6 inch fish.

Diane 007

Hi Diane007,
I have no hands on with polar parrots.

I have moved fry and juveniles from tank to tank by moving them with all their own water. Or should I say 50% of the tank water they were in . That gives the old tank a 50% water change . The fry don’t get any new water or only a tiny 10% -15% new water. Whatever new tank they are in only needs enough water for the filter to work. That’s no problem with a sponge filter but is something you will need to think about with the filter you have in the 33 gallon . After a few hours a little more new water. And then again in another 4 or 6 hours you slowly add more fresh water.

This has worked for me multiple times.

And perhaps it may come as a surprise but moving fry with a hose is better than a net . A straight length of garden hose with only a few inches fall gives a vacuum that has seen 100% survival. Vacuuming into a bucket or straight into the new tank sounds rough but is recommended practice in fish farms.

I have also used a net on small fish/fry .

I see ornaments in the fry tank. You might as well pull them all out before you start moving catching or netting fry.

Of course the warning is when you remove the fry some species of adults will have another spawn very soon afterwards . Less than one month . Leaving most of the fry in the main tank to eliminate the next spawning is something to consider. Only removing double the number of fry you can successfully raise in the 33 gallon might be logical. Culling out half of those to have a healthy group and not trying to save every fry is a hard call only you can decide.

I can only see 15 ish fry in the picture but am dealing with several hundred blue acara fry myself. And have 3 batches of well over a hundred fry in each . It’s a hard job but it’s not possible for me to raise 5 hundred 6 inch fish.
Flyfisha, thank you very much for the reply and I apologize for the delay! I did indeed move all the fish over with my python.. as far as I can tell there were zero casualties.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NaturalGothic
  • Question
Replies
Views
Jarzola89
Replies
Views
Kim007
Replies