moving an established tank Question 

nonstop619

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm getting a 29 gallon later today and I need to hide it from kids who will want it stocked right away. My question, is there any problem with seting up a tank in the garage, allowing it to nitrogen cycle how ever long it takes then moving it into the home after the tank is ready to stock? The temps in garage are in the mid 70s to low 80s and will stay that way for at least a month and a half. Thanks for any input.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it's fine, since you are doing a fishless cycle.
Someone on here once cycled a filter in a bucket before setting up the actual tank.

Oh, and welcome to fishlore!

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't see any problem. I just moved my 10 gal from the bedroom to the living room w/ fish in it and they did just fine.

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately, there is no safe way to move an aquarium when it's full of water. You will have to drain it and then move it. You can preserve the cycle by leaving just enough water in it to keep the substrate submerged and then putting the filter media in a container of conditioned water to preserve it as well. You then move the tank to its final location, refil with conditioned water and put the media back in. Presto! You have a cycled tank that you safely moved. This is what I did when I recently moved down a block down the street, and it was fine.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore nonstop619 if i have not told you already
I think you have a great idea there just make sure you keep the temp up on the tank.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could always use Tetra SafeStart and get it partially stocked right away.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads