Moving An Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by GabiGourami, Jun 22, 2018.

1. GabiGourami

GabiGourami New Member Member

I wasn't sure where to post this thread. But does anyone have any advice on moving an aquarium?
    I'm moving next Friday to a new apartment about 25 minutes away from my home right now. I currently have one dwarf gourami and 3 panda cory cats (yes, I know I need more. I had some die on me and I don't want to add anymore to my tank until it is in my new home. So please don't comment on this.) in a 20 gallon tank. My fish all live well with each other, usually all staying within the same area.
    I do have a plastic 1 gallon container I use for new fish to get acclimated. Is this acceptable to transport them in? Or should I separate my gourami from my pandas?
    Also, is it acceptable to empty about 80% of my water into a bucket and leave the sand, plants and set up in the tank for transportation?
    If anyone has moved an aquarium, advice on every step of the process is appreciated. I love my fish and don't want to freak any of them out in this delicate process :)

2. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Putting the fish in a 1 gallon container for a few hours while you move is fine. But I would put the corys in one container, and the gourami in it's own container. It's tight quarters, and we don't want any incidents. I know they're fine in the 20 gallon tank, but we're talking about a 1 gallon container here. Let's not take any chances.

Yes, it is common for people to drain the majority of the water and leave the substrate and a little water in the tank for transportation, but it's probably in your best interest to remove the ornaments and plants for the move. Keep the plants wet in a plastic container. It is acceptable to keep them in the tank, sure, but you might have a little more luck uprooting them when you break down the tank and replanting them after the move. Things get shuffled around a lot during moving.

The most important thing is to not lose your beneficial bacteria colony. Fill a plastic container with used, dirty tank water, and keep your filter media (sponges, bio-balls, carbon) in that container of tank water for the duration of the move. If your filter media dries out, the bacteria living on it dies, and you'll have to cycle your tank all over again.

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Also remember, the tank should be the last thing to move and the first thing to set up. You will want to check the water over a few hours before add the fish and acclimate them to the new water cause you don't know what the water at the new place is like.

4. OP
    OP
    GabiGourami

GabiGourami New Member Member

My plants at the moment are fake. I'm planning on getting real ones once I'm settled in the new house. But thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Even if all I put back into my tank is my water from previously, is it still super vital to test my waters in my new apartment before reintroducing my fish? I didn't know if that short of time between moves could drastically change things.

Even if it's the same water from before? I was just gonna put it in a bucket and pour it back in the tank once I get it there. Then slowly add the new water from the apartment into the tank over the next couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

I think if you're reusing the same water and "topping off" with new water from the new apartment, that will be fine. I like your idea of slowly adding new water over the next couple of days. Since you are moving a half hour away, you are probably going to be in a different township, so the water might be treated totally different. It won't be like moving across the country, so don't expect the pH or GH to shift too much, but there may some slight differences and acclimation is certainly helpful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice