Moving all fish to new tank

1. a

armymil Valued Member Member

I currently have a smaller fish tank I need to move my fish to that is in operation. I have a 60 gallon now and moving fish to 29 gallon.

According to aqadvisor, it says filtration will be 70% with current filter. I was going to move my 350 magnum 100 gal capacity which would give over 100% filtration.

In 29, I have 5 danios and 4 glass catfish and one oto.

In my 60, I have 6 guppy and 6 platies.

With all of that, is there a way to move them to my tank without a loss? Least stress, least to no loss?

I was going to keep both filters running on new tank for a week or two so all capacity could be met.

Thanks!

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Since you will have both filter on the 29, I would think that moving them all at once should be fine. But why not just run the two filters permanently? Once you remove one, you are going to lose half your bacteria unless you put the media from the filter you are removing into the filter that is staying.

3. JessH18

JessH18 Valued Member Member

We just upgraded to a new tank thanks to Pectco's $1 per gallon sale. We went from a 29 gallon to a 40 gallon. We also got a free filter with the deal so we ran two filters on our 29 gallon for at least one week, probably closer to two. Once we established our new tank we moved over our canister filter and left the hang on the back in the 29 gallon. We moved over our least expensive fish one night, watched them for a day, and throughout the week we added in the rest of gang, once we knew everyone was safe. I would say just to be smart about it and don't rush things if it doesn't feel right. One thing I have learned with keeping fish is patience is key!

4. OP
    OP
    a

armymil Valued Member Member

Thanks all. I did so and lost one fish but I think it was stress not the filter situation. So far so good.